Friday, September 3, 2010

Back on the Job Hunt

It's that time again!! (You can't tell, but that exclamation is DRIPPING with sarcasm.)

I finished my last day at CRG yesterday. It was sad. I really liked the people I worked with there and they really liked me. I wasn't sure up until yesterday but they gave me a really nice going away party with the world's most delicious chocolate cake, a book and a nice bath set from the Body Shop. And the general manager even made a nice speech about me and how I'd added value to the company and helped them win back some major pharmaceutical company contracts. It was a good way to go.

Why am I going? It's complicated but I'll try to explain. My first visa in Australia was a Working Holiday visa which allowed me to stay for a year and work up to 6 months in any work place (ie. I can work for 6 months at CRG and simultaneously 6 months at Thomson Reuters and then do another 6 months somewhere else if I want to). Just before that visa expired, we submitted an application for a Temporary Partner visa which essentially means I'm become Jeremy's common law wife and he remains my sponsor. However, that visa application is still in processing and yet to be approved and so, in the meantime, I am on a Bridging Visa (type A).

What is that? A Bridging Visa does as it says--holds you over during processing until your next visa comes through. It carries all the work rights of your previous visa which, in my case, is the Working Holiday visa. So, even though I'm not technically on that visa anymore, I'm still restricted as though I were.

So, having been at CRG for 6 months, I had to quit lest I break my visa restrictions (and risk deportation). Same goes for Thomson Reuters though my last day there isn't for a couple more weeks.

Thus, the hunt begins. I've already turned in a few applications and I need to do more, but we'll see what happens. It's hard to find the energy to keep trying when you've had such rotten luck in the past.

4 comments:

Ceri Kim said...

Good luck hunt, Firstly, I hope the elections end so your visa can be processed, and then I hope you're able to find a good job (or maybe back to the same place if they still love you!!) Anyways, thinking of you....Ceri x

Linguisticnurse said...

I'm sorry that you have to go through all that again.
Don't forget, it's not ALL bad luck. You did find CRG and Thompson Reuters. I'm inclined to think they're not the only good jobs out there.

Kortney said...

Ugh. Yeah, it's difficult. I'm sure I'll find something sooner or later but I fear it'll be like the last time I was without work (for four months). At any rate, I will have enough saved up by the time of my last paycheck in a couple weeks to pay off my loans for the next 6 months. Which is good. And less stressful.

And yeah, Liz, I did end up with some nice people to work with this last time and they gave me really good letters of recommendation, so hopefully that'll help me get at least a few offers.

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Woo Kort - what a dilemma! I am sorry! You are an awesome employee and I know that someone will snatch up soon. What kind of Visa would you need to start your own photography business?