This is my street and the third building on the right is mine. In the five months since I've been here, I have seen each of the other five buildings come from the ground up. There are some things that drive me nuts about this place (like bad wallpaper and cement walls) but there are also lots of little blessings too (like I live on the first floor and don't have to take elevators or walk up many stairs and the wonderful coded entry into my building that prevents annoying advertisers from covering my door with junk).
Just one block from my apartment is Jeomchon River (I forgot it's real name). It's not very deep and lately not very clean either, but a beautiful contrast to everything around it. I hear that in the spring the trees along the river blossom. I can't wait! My favorite thing about living here is that I get to walk to school everyday along the river. It's really nice.
However beautiful or oasis like Jeomchon River may be, it does have one fault: this police light, attached to a bridge not far from my house. It's purpose remains a mystery. When I first arrived, I assumed that maybe it was like a flood warning light, but no. There has never been a flood and it blinks every night, all night long. Though I have asked many times about it, no one seems to know the reason for these lights.
Anyhow, back on our way. This is another view of the Shinwon Apartments from an intersection that I walk through every Monday and Friday on my way to school. It's also the same street that I take to go to the grocery store (we'll stop there on the way back home).
Let's take a detour for just a minute and go visit Jamie's school: Jeomchon Boys Middle School. This is a big apartment building on the street up to her school--take a good look at the name. It's hardly a mansion but a good example of how English has been used and misused so many times... Another good example of funny apartment names: my friend Jill lives in a building called "Richie One-Room." lol. We love it!
Across the street from the mansion is this little park with two covered tables (which is pretty much the entire contents of said park--no toys, no grass, no sidewalks). The basic purpose of these parks is to provide a place for relaxation in the evening (but you won't see anyone out there at this time of the year!). When it gets warmer, you will find loads of old men out at these parks drinking soju and mekju (vodka and beer) at all hours of the night, playing cards and a game called "Go" (that's the Chinese--I can't remember the Korean name for it) at these tables. No doubt gambling away their pay checks...
Almost to Jamie's school! We have passed the front gate and are walking up the hill. On your right is all of the bike racks for the boys and straight ahead is the school's new track and astro-turf field!
God, I wish my school had an astro-turf field... Lucky kids... They also have a really great modern library that far surpasses the one at good ol' NU. Good thing all the schools here like me--I got special permission from Jamie's principal to use their library whenever I want and to use their track too if I feel like it.
Yes, back on the road and on our way to Munchang! This photo above is taken of some really beautiful wall paintings on the side of a courtyard wall, just along the sidewalk. I love walking to school. There is just so many interesting things to see! It takes 30 minutes to walk there and I wish it was longer!
Oh, you know me, a sucker for scooter pictures...
Onward! Just after the tunnel the sidewalk starts to go up hill and you can get a nice view of the city from here. When it's mid-day and the sun is shining, you can see lots of green mountains in the distance.
Just as we turn around and begin our journey again, a man with one leg walks (?) past us... I don't have the courage to take a photo of him from the front... That just seems a little degrading... So I'll do it behind his back... Aren't I nice? I imagine he probably lost his leg in the Korean war. There are lots of people here with disabilities and missing limbs. Oddly though, you don't see many of them unless they are beggars because Koreans tend to keep their handicapped outside of normal society. Ex: That blind, deaf, and mute church that I went to back in October... Thinking about it, I need to go back... I feel sorry for these people. It's not their fault that they have disabilities yet Koreans will treat them as if they aren't Korean at all...
Let's keep going--we're about half way there... Here is a good example of a traditional Korean house on the left. There will usually be three or four floors (including the roof) and each floor is a different family's home--kinda like a stacked up duplex. On the roof, each family shares the space for drying clothes, drying food, and storing garbage (I see a lot of garbage on the roofs of homes)...
Each winter (usually done in November), the woman of the house will prepare these big pots with cabbage, vinegar, and chili paste, making kimchi for the spring and following winter. Some people will let their kimchi ferment for a whole year! In days long past, this method of food preparation was used to preserve vegetables for the long winter months where no vegetables could be found. Though it's pretty easy to buy kimchi in the store these days, pretty much everyone still prepares it out of sweet devotion to tradition and culture.
Yay! We're at my favorite house!! It's an old little place but very interesting. It's a bright teal green color and the courtyard wall is just low enough that I can peak over and look at all the interesting stuff inside! I just adore the rural feel of it! So we'll stop here and take photos for a while (since this is the first time I've happened to walk by with my camera in hand)!
Let's keep going! Not sure what this is or where it was taken but I like the color and the metallic feel.
Amazing Korean architecture... This is one fancy house! Love the warmth of the sun on the brick.
Hurry! Let's go to All Mart and get some dinner!
And we made it home! A four hour walk! Wow! That was nice! We'll visit the girls school and down town Friday sometime. Thanks for coming along!
3 comments:
What a great idea.
Thanks, Kortney! I really enjoyed the walk.
(beautiful pics, BTW)
How great a walk was that. Enjoyed the pictures.
I must reiterate on the picture comment--you take beautiful pictures!
Post a Comment