Friday, August 22, 2008

Munchang Teachers

Kim Dae Gyu is a really cool guy. He's a man of very few words but very kind, considerate and collected. He taught me how to play badminton and never let the boys get out of control in my class. I have very fond memories of teaching with him last year. This year, we only had one class together but it was good.


Kim Hong Gi is another really cool teacher. He was new to Munchang this year and we taught 5 classes together. When we first met, he flirted with me a lot but I was convinced he was married due to the nice watch he always wore (remember, most men get a nice watch instead of a ring when they marry), despite his insistence that he was single. It was really funny for a while and then I think it started to get to him and I gave up the fight. He really was single. lol. Anyway, we had some good times teaching and talking between classes. He always liked me but by the time we met I was committed elsewhere (Jeremy). But that doesn't mean Mr. Kim wasn't a valuable friend! There were a few times when I was having a bad day and would break down in tears at school and he would always be there for me. He would take over the class so I could go dry up and would always be supportive when I returned. We had a fight once about who was more embarrassed in class (I think I won) but through it all he was my friend. I will miss teaching with him.


Jun Mi Ja is by far my favorite of all my co-teachers. She is perhaps the kindest Korean I have ever known. She would always offer to drive me home after work because the school was so far away, would often help me get out of work early so I could catch a bus to Incheon, would always invite me to the school events, never forgot to tell me about the important dates, and was always there to explain the intricate Korean culture and customs. But I think one event stands out more than others as a testiment of Jun's character: I came down with food poisoning one day after eating some street vendor food and had to call in sick. But that night, Jun suprised me by showing up at my house with pizza from my favorite place along with salad and side dishes. She wanted me to get better and though she didn't know what American's ate when they were sick, she thought some western food would at least cheer me up. That is so typical of her. She would always do wonderful little things like that for me. I will miss her dearly. Teaching at Munchang was good, but undoubtedly so because of her.

No comments: