Thursday, August 7, 2008

Recent Weekend Adventures

I need to make a public announcement: my boyfriend is the sweetest man. Without second thought, Jeremy is the best thing Korea has given me. :)

So, we've been on quite a few outings recently in preparation for our big trips--Jeremy in Central Asia and me everywhere else. Mostly our weekend adventures are limited to hiking stores but on one rainy Sunday we ended up at the famous Namdaemun market, looking for a knife with a sheath, a pocket watch, a travel wallet, a ruler, a calculator with trigonamic functions, and a tripod. We didn't get it all but we had a great time wandering around!



Jeremy and the watch man. There's a whole lot of bling in that case...

"How about a safari hat?" (My pathetic attempt to look model-esque.)

A belt for every occasion.

Really strange meat... Pork of some kind... But tell me, what kind of cut is that?

More mysterious items of "The Korean Food Group."

I like this photo. The sunglasses are reflecting the staple multi-colored Korean umbrella used by every street vendor on the peninsula.

Jeremy, swallowed in a bottom-less pit of purses. In Korea, it's not just the women who carry purses... Men do as well and often show up the women in the accessory department. But don't worry, he was just looking at wallets. I couldn't date a man that carried a purse.

A celebrity photo shop. In Korea, teenagers go NUTS over their favorite pop groups or teen actors. You would never see one of these shops back home but here, this type of store is essential.
My ABSOLUTE favorite photo: Jeremy in a Lee Myung Bak mask. LMB is the Korean president whom the Korean despise almost as much as we despise our own. We were just on our way out of the market when I spotted this little treasure in a toy story and forced J to pose with it on. It's so real looking that I can't help but die of laughter each time I see it! :)

Another day in Seoul, we purchased Jeremy's new camera for his trip and took this lovely picture below on the train ride home (you can see the subway lights reflecting off the glass).


Later that evening, we went up on the roof top of his building to test his new camp stove. It was a little touch-and-go for a while but he figured it out! Once we got it working, we boiled some water (ooh!) and then roasted some marshmallows (ahh!). It was a good night.

The view from Jeremy's roof. You can see the subway train passing in a streak of light.

El Cartographer himself (inside joke) working on that stove.

More photos and stories to come!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you!!!! I am kortney deprived. I'd love to talk to you over the phone. Is your number still the same. :)

-Katie

Anonymous said...

I am going to Hawaii with my grandma and some family members on the 29th. I'd love to send you a post card. What is your address? Has it changed? Miss you!!!!


-Katie Uberti