Monday, July 20, 2009

A Beautiful Day

I think button shops are lovely. While traveling in Turkey I came across one and took a picture of it just because I love them. Walls--entire walls--covered with little drawers full of buttons. It reminds me of when I was a little girl and would sort my grandma's jewellry in a similar box with drawers, sorting it by size, color, type, and sparkle. A few years later, my mom gave me her spare button tins and I would play, and play, and play in the buttons, always sticking my fingers deep inside the piles, squishing the buttons between them like a handful of mud. And I would sort. And they always made me smile. I think buttons are one of the secret loves of my life--a guilty pleasure of the not-so-guilty kind.

And today I have a reason to visit the button shop.

A couple days ago, just as I walked in the door, a button popped off my winter coat and upon inspection I realized it was the hook that broke, not the thread. With most things still in boxes, I realized there was probably no chance I'd ever find the spare. And though I'm thankful for all the spare buttons that come with my nice clothes, I'm truely grateful to have lost one because now I can visit the button shop which just happens to be nearby. Oh, the adventures that await me there! And if I don't find a match, I'm sure the trip will still be worth my while.

I hope you all can enjoy a button today (whatever you button may be).

2 comments:

Stacy said...

IT took me a minute to figure out why you were wearing your winter coat when its 70 degrees today ;) So, about your button love, I thought of this post on a blog I frequent: http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2009/07/button-love.html

Enjoy - Happy Monday!

Beth said...

I was the same way as a kid! I LOVED the buttons my mom had collected for various sewing projects! Both my sister and I spent hours sorting and admiring those buttons. :)