Sunday, December 6, 2009

World's Laziest Blogger?

Once again, not much to blog about. Christmas is just around the corner though which means Jeremy's parents will be here soon and then I'll have a bit more to blog.

However, if you're desperate for some good reading, I suggest you read this post from a fellow blogger: Monkey Business (for real).

I also suggest you visit this site and read/watch/view the most beautiful photo book that I've ever seen. It'll probably make you cry just as I did but I'm sure you'll be happy for the experience: Days with my Father.

I should also mention that I got a haircut this weekend and that last week I started a second temp job in addition to my current one at Thomson Reuters. It's okay but nothing too exciting. I'm working as an admin assistant for the NSW Nurses Association (a labor union). It's not really too interesting except that there's one lady in the office who likes to play loud 50Cent music and swear at people. The other day, she was calling someone a bitch out loud for everyone to hear. It seems that most people don't mind this sort of language in the work place. Maybe the aggression is just a perk that comes with the job. I'm not sure. It makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Perhaps that's another thing about Australia that you really wouldn't expect but would notice within the first month here: people generally say whatever they want to. Like that lady. Or like another lady at the University of Sydney gym. I went in to buy a pool membership and ended up spending a bit of time on the phone with Jeremy because we needed to discuss some of the cancellation clauses and auto-debit fees. Anyway, while we were on the phone, the manager got right in my face, pointed her finger at me and mouthed, "That's rude!" I was shocked. I still can't understand why she would have behaved like that. It's not like I was holding up a line or anything. I guess when in Rome, do as the Romans. So I gave her a verbal whipping as I hung up the phone and tore up the agreement. What she did was rude and unnecessary and consequently lost my business.

So, there you go. A bit of a story for your day. But really, I'll try to blog something more this week. And post pictures--maybe tomorrow? Good night, Blogland!

2 comments:

Beth said...

People are weird. :) I guess that's all I can say about this particular entry. It's interesting seeing what works (or doesn't work!) in different cultures.

For example! A few weeks ago, we had an Australian group stay at the hotel--something to do with working with Microsoft, one of our typical clients--and they were a nightmare to have as guests. Very dirty rooms. Very loud. Very drunk. :) (And this was a business trip!) That's ok though because the next week we had a group in from New Zealand, and they were worse. ;)

Do I now think that all Australians are crazy, loud, and rude? No, but at least I'm starting to understand why the rest of the world pictures loud, ignorant Texans when they think of "Americans."

I have no idea where I was going with this comment...

Kortney said...

People who say Americans are loud have never hung out with Australians! And they LOVE to drink! It doesn't surprise me at all that the room was a mess. And I suspect it's true about the Kiwi's too--I hear they can out drink even the Australians!

Thanks for going nowhere with the comment. I was just happy to get one. :)