Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Culture Club

Efficient Korean soap dispensers. Strange, eh?

Lately, my boys in class 1-7 have been surprising me every Friday with a chalk board filled with requests for pizza. I've been occasionally springing a contest on the boy students where the first class to not speak Korean for 50 minutes wins a pizza party. These boys are super cute about it too. I'm going to let them have a second-go tomorrow and hopefully they'll win. I really want them to. (Notice that my name isn't Kortney but rather Copani. lol.)


Another interesting fact about Korea is that EVERYONE is a professional photographer--or at least thinks they are. I've mentioned before how Koreans are obsessed with top of the line equipment (the most materialistic people I've ever met!) and that extends beyond hiking gear and into the camera world too. You will never see a point and shoot camera. Only SLRs. One day I managed to sneak a photo of four people, all in a row, bragging about their gear to each other. Chances are that none of them know how to even use those cameras--it's all about the way you look when holding it. :)

Spam. It's everywhere in Korea. They love it. We're talking LOADS and LOADS of Spam. If Spamalot exists, Koreans live there.

I was rather unlucky to find myself shoved into this one subway train. There must have been around 200 people in there. I had to take a picture and show you just how crowded Korea can be. Imagine squeezing the state of California into Idaho... That's Korea. I had to stick my camera phone up above the crowd and twist around to get this shot.

3 comments:

Milk Mama said...

Great photos! I only usually have a bit to come and read your blog. This was a short one with little reading required... just the thing for a busy mama lol. That's a ton of Spam! I'm sure if it weren't for other countries, Spam would be out of existence!
Copani is a neat name. ;) Hopefully they enjoy the pizza. Take pics! I love to look at the photos you take!
Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Violet said...

Hahaha...it's all so funny!

Michael and Eryn said...

You forgot to mention that a crowded subway smells like alcohol, garlic, and rotting cabbage.