Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rollin', rollin', rollin' down the river...

I know I haven't written much lately about what I've been up to but that because nothing very exciting has been happening. As far as Jeomchon goes, it's about as exciting as it's ever been. I have a few dinners with students now and then, hit the spa about once a week with Courtney, have been cooking like mad, and going for walks almost everyday. There's not much else to it.

With regard to school, we're in the middle of mid-terms right now which means I'm not teaching a whole lot. The kids are all tired and completely unmotivated to learn--wait, that's not just during mid-terms, that's everyday! Today I had to get after one class of boys because half of them were sleeping and the other half just stared at their workbooks. The boys school has me teaching this ridiculously boring listening material that's WAY too easy for them and I have no choice but to teach it. Ugh. Lessons at the girls school are slowly improving but not at any consistent rate. One day's a success; the next isn't. For the past couple of weeks we've been having fairly successful discussion classes with topics like lying and panhandling/begging. Some of them have been very responsive others were DOA. Next week the boys take exams on Thursday and Friday (no classes again) and then they go on a school trip to Jeju island May 26th-30th--again, no classes. I also have no classes the 5th or 12th this month because they're national holidays. I really wonder why the school keeps me employed. They pay me so much to do so little.

I went to see the Olympic torch pass through Seoul lat weekend but missed the event by about an hour (got carried away in conversation). Too bad. But I did see the hundreds of toy soldiers--i mean, SWAT men--rumble through Seoul plaza and it's vicinity as Chinese students protested anti-Olympic protests. (My protest is better than your's!) It was quite interesting to say the least but of course would have been better had I been able to make the whole event. :(

In other recent news, some of you have heard the latest round of threats from Kim Jung Il (North Korean dictator) where he threatened to level South Korea to ashes. I say pish-posh and so do the Koreans. He's like a doberman with no teeth.

Yep. And that's about it.

Cheers!

1 comment:

judy and john said...

So Kortney, quite a dry spell for you. I'm hoping that something of interest pops up soon.