I try not to use this blog for political purposes but today, I'm so proud to say I'm an American.
While in Pakistan I met several people who believed that America was ran by Jews. While in Georgia, people told me they didn't like Obama because he was black. While in Korea, I was often teased and harassed by my British friends because our radical president managed to drive not only Afghanistan and Iraq but also our own country into various states of civil and economic unrest.
But today, my fellow Americans have hope and have truly made a vote for change.
You don't have to agree with Barack Obama's policies. I only ask that you celebrate with me the momentous changes he represents. A country once divided over slavery, then again divided by policies such as "separate but equal" and once again by economic hardship defined in terms of "minority groups" has found a man to bridge those divides. Obama isn't just black man, he a force that shows we have changed and a symbol for the world to be more tolerant.
The declaration of independence states that "all men are created equal" and for the first time America is seeing equality not just in schools, not just in legal representation, not just in the work place, but at the highest reaches of our country--the presidency. In a world where wars across Africa, Asia and the Middle East are often waged along lines of ethnicity and religion, we now have a real, visible, tangible, audible person calling out amongst the world's leaders and showing them that these things can be achieved.
Here is a man, both white and black, both of Muslim and Christian heritage, raised both in wealth and poverty, at home and abroad. If you cannot celebrate his victory, at least celebrate who he is. Good luck, Obama.
1 comment:
This was a good post. While I did not vote for Obama, I very much trust our God and know that he is not suprised or bothered by this outcome. I like how you handled such a "touchy" subject. And all reasons for voting either way cast aside, I am proud of what his victory means for our country as far as equality is concerned. I think it will send a message to other countries.
However, I must say that I pray for the sanctity of human life, and I pray that balance will be found since government is now mainly democratic.
I like the spin you bring on things! It causes me to think.
It looks like you are truly having and adventure!
Post a Comment