Friday, April 23, 2010

Blurbbles.

We need more people like you.
Today I learned that one of the guys at work used to be a director at Coca-Cola in Australia and was making $300,000+ but gave it all up because the job didn't make him happy, didn't challenge him and the money wasn't satisfying. His words: "There was no where left for me to go in the company and I don't need that much money--no one needs that much money." So he works for himself now and he does what he enjoys. Not many executives would turn down that kind of pay these days. The world needs more people like Joseph. He is a white rhino in a sea of cane toads.

Expanding Your Horizons
I actually went to a corny conference in 4th and 5th grade under this title that aimed to encourage young kids to excel academically and take every opportunity offered to them. In truth, I can't remember anything other than that I made a friend from another school and that I really liked the t-shirt they gave us. But today I think my horizon got a little wider. I sent off an application today for a presentation program assistant at the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) in their television division. I think I'm a good fit for this job and I'm more than qualified to do it (it's also a good "in" for me as the ABC is a very reputable news source here akin to the BBC). Keep your fingers crossed for me because I need something more challenging that what I'm doing now. And I need full time work. If I get this job, it's completely possible that I pay off ALL my student loans in the next 6 months--yeah, um, it's that good of a job. Will the sun set or the sun rise on my horizon? Keep watching this space to find out!

My Biker Boyfriend
Actually it's a road bike but I like flattering him. Jeremy got a new bike last week. We had been talking about a new bike for sometime now and looking at this particular one since November, but ultimately decided to leave it until we got ahead on loans and stuff. But plans changed. Last week, while Jeremy was riding home, he lost his shifter which is kind of like loosing the clutch on a truck--riding is still possible but it makes for one horrible ride to work. So we dug into our savings--again!--and put a bit towards a new bike. It really was inevitable though as his old bike was pretty old and nothing on it could be salvaged. Luckily the price had gone down $300 since the last time we looked at it which made things a lot easier to swallow. He's very happy though. All he can talk about is how fast it goes! It's adorable.

Put 'yer money in a jar and bury it!
It seems like saving money is always two steps forward and one step back. Aside from the bike purchase, we also had to put down a sizable loan payment recently in case I run out of temp work before the new visa is approved. And in addition to the loan, I also had to invest in some better clothes because even though Thomson Reuters doesn't care if I wear t-shirts and capris to work, sooner or later I'm going to find myself working some place that does care and I'm going to look like a real bogan. Plus, my t-shirts are all getting holes these days. So we put $400 into my wardrobe which sounds like a lot to anyone in the US but here in Australia, that's like 4 shirts, a belt and a pair of pants (even when you're bargain hunting!). Geeze, life here is expensive! Sometimes I really wish I could just bury my money so I wouldn't touch it! But while we're speaking of savings, we're hovering just around the $2,300 mark which means we can pretty much buy tickets to fly home now. However, we're limited by my current visa situation which doesn't allow me to leave the country until my application is approved. So... No trips home anytime soon. We'll have to wait for the visa to be approved before we buy tickets (just to be on the safe side). In the meantime, we continue to save. Hopefully we'll have an extra $1,000 to go home with (wishful thinking, maybe?).

Take a picture--it'll last longer.
Not much happening on the photography front these days. I've been busy temping which has left me short of time to put together projects and job ads. Plus, my main focus these days is to concentrate on getting a website put together so that when I get residency I can immediately get my business license and start making this photography thing happen. I'm not really a computer person (not like Jeremy, that is) and all of the information out there is blowing my mind. I'm having a really hard time just trying to find a free web template that I like and then deciding which CMS system to use. I started investigating Joomla! the other day but was so overwhelmed after 10 minutes that I had to walk away. And then, to use flash or not? To incorporate a blog? What about indexing and SEO? How often do I need to update and change my gallery collections? How much is too much? Do I sell prints directly from my site? If so, which ones? And choosing a good host company! My brain is melting just talking about all this!! Small goals first, right? This weekend my goal is to find a host, purchase a domain, and find at least five photographer websites that I like. Tips from fellow web buildings would be appreciated in the comments section of this blog.

For Ryan and Lindsey
Monday is Anzac Day in Australia and though the day is meant to commemorate the sacrifice of Australian men and women who've given their all to the military, I'd also like to make a shout out for my cousins Ryan and Lindsey. Both of them are/where in Afghanistan fighting for our freedom and the freedom of others, the rights of women to determine their futures, world security, and freedom from religious extremism. I am so grateful for their live and their selflessness to move across the globe and offer their lives for people they've never known. It's a beautiful thing. And I also want to send out a big thanks to all the Australian troops deployed overseas too who don't know me but fight for my rights too. Happy Anzac Day everyone! 

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I love your posts. It's been nutty at work lately - the only time I am on a computer nowadays, so I am sorry that I have not been able to comment as usual! I miss you!