Friday, June 4, 2010

Go tell Chicken Little the sky is falling!

Now, being a Seattle girl, I feel confident when I say that I've seen real rain, but you know, I hadn't seen it all... Until today.

I came home from running errands to find all of our suburb flooding and in a big way. The rain was coming down hard and running down the streets even harder. I had to strategically cross the street to get home lest I be swept away!

But that wasn't the worst of it--the worst was after I got home! The rain really started coming down and the street started filling up. I put some pants on and grabbed my Flip video camera to go see what was happening and wow. All I can say is watch the videos!



This was the beginning of the flood. You can see it's already getting deep and the cars are making big splashes.



Then this postman took to the higher ground (our garage stoop) as the water got even higher! Watch him show you on his legs how deep it got!



See the water splash up against the building and the cars literally plow through the deepest the water got! Watch it flow into the garage and start coming up through the drains in our house! And a bike that would have been swept away if it hadn't been chained up!



And then a car gets stuck and starts taking on water so the postman has to go push him out! Shortly after he starts, at :31, there is a loud and heavy vwoomp sound and something dark moves in the bottom right corner--that's the storm drain lid blowing off!



And then, no joke--2 minutes after that last video--the rain is all gone and so is the lake! The street is empty!! Can you believe how fast it came and how fast it left?! I think from start to finish this flash flood lasted about 15-17 minutes! That's what I call a flash!



As to what remains in our garage, pretty much lots of water and lots of garbage! That will teach people to actually put it in the trash and not on the ground! I imagine that there is a real drain (somewhere down there) but it's probably plugged. Several cars have water inside and we've had a few insurance reps out already today. Looks like there will probably be some water pumps going soon (hopefully not through the night--we would definitely hear them!).

On a side note, I find it really funny that every video starts out with me saying, "Oh my God!" lol.

Hope the weather clears up soon!!

5 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

That is crazy! What an awesome post you put together - I feel like I was there! :) I hope it all dries out eventually soon...

Beth said...

This is so crazy! I thought I saw serious rain in Chad, but it wasn't like this flash flood. I can't believe that it was there and then gone again so soon. I mean, in Chad, sure the capital city flooded every summer, but that's because it was built between two branches of the major river and the ground is mostly clay, but this is crazy! Side note: parts of the city were inaccessible during the summer months (rainy season) except by canoe.

Lee said...

It's kinda like "when it rains, it pours!"

Shellie said...

Wild!

Wonder Woman said...

That is definitely the true example of a "flash flood" - wow! I'm glad you guys weren't hurt. Thanks for sharing the videos. I need to incorporate video into my blog. Maybe that is something to put on my Waiting until Vacation Comes list . . .