As I said in my previous post, I was recently asked to do the photography for the Reel Dance Film Festival here in Sydney. It all came about because of the Newtown Festival photos I had done previously and one of the event planners remembered me when she needed a photographer for her newest event.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect or how things would go when I showed up. My first job was to get some photos of the theatre itself and all the gift bags left out on the seats for guests.
And then the guests started to show up, so off I went to the foyer! One of the great things about this festival was the magnificent location! Held at Carriage Works in Everleigh, Sydney, the facility is actually a series of old train repair shops converted into a restaurant and event center.
The whole thing was so artsy from the facility, to the marketing material, the decorations, and the clothes! I felt like I was at an Soho art gallery opening!
Once everyone got seated, the festival kicked off with some guest speakers and some very interesting films. Unfortunately, it seemed a few people were confused about what exactly "dance on film" meant (myself included). The directors interpreted dance on film to mean the relationship of movement of any kind on film.
To be honest, that interpretation seemed a bit liberal to me because one film in particular focused on objects moving (think a raft across a pool or smoke from a cigarette) and rapid cuts between shots of statues (which don't move--but maybe that's the point?). It was all a little too avant-garde for my tastes but none the less fun to be a part of!
While the films were finishing up, I left the theatre and went to shoot the rest of the facility and the after party room. However, much to my disappointment, my tripod collapsed just before I took this photo, busting up my lens and pretty much scaring the absolute crap out of me.
I really wasn't sure what I would be able to pull out after that because my only two lenses left were a fish eye (very artsy) and a telephoto (not good for low light). But I managed to get out a few things!
(That food looked so good I nearly jumped on the table and smashed it into my face!)
(And after watching my lens bust apart, I was feeling like a few glasses of wine too! Alas, I had to leave it for the guests!)

Despite my lens being busted and my camera in an unknown state, I managed to hold it together until Jeremy showed to walk me home. The next day was pretty rough and I tried really hard to find them a replacement photographer, without any luck though. (I just don't know many in Sydney.) But they were cool with it and very pleased with what I could give them from the first night.
Hopefully the money will come together quickly to replace the lens (and camera?) soon so I can get back out and take more photos! And hopefully those wonderful event planners who sourced me for this event will think of me again!









1 comment:
I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.
Post a Comment