Thursday, July 22, 2010

Transitions?

This blog tends to change format every time my life goes into transition and I'm starting to feel the need to move my life around a bit. That and I realized some of the features of my old template weren't really working for me.

But changing this blog around has once again made me think about it's purpose, I mean really, what am I doing here? Over the last three years, it's gone through a few looks being a place for my adventures in Korea, a place for my photography, a journal of my backpacking trip, a place for me to just sit down and talk (hence the couch on my last template), and now... what?

As I sit here and contemplate the struggles I've had over the last year and my feelings about the options I have for the next year, I find myself honestly ping-ponging between depressed and ambivalent--not excited. What I miss is the adventure, the excitement, the unknown and the surprise of everyday life--of living truly in the moment.

I feel a bit sad that at 25 it feels like my adventures are ending with a 9-5 job and a moldy apartment but I'm not going to give up because the journey isn't over yet. I'm in love with the most wonderful man and together we're carving our way through international waters, living life and loving each other. We have plans and dreams and we're going to get there! And my photography! Things are going well and I've got some great references and amazing pieces to show for my hard work. It might feel like I'm at the end of the road but I'm really still somewhere near the beginning.

So, this blog--The Journey of a 21st Century Nomad--whether it's written from an exotic location or the comfort of my couch (favorite writing location), is about walking that road of life and love and learning as I go. Adventures of a different kind? Perhaps. I hope a bit of the exciting laying with tigers sort of stuff is in there too but primarily, this place is about dealing with life as it comes at you--not looking back, but always moving forward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new blog and don't think you need to define life as being one thing and therefore neither should you your blog, if you're lucky enough to be travelling then it's an account of your travel adventures, and if you're lucky enough to be with the love of your life then it's an account of the struggles that come along with realizing that life can't only be about adventures worldwide but also about the adventure to live normal life....at least that's the way I see the transition periods between amazing truly adventurous times - if we lived them all the time, how would we know they were truly amazing? I love reading about your everyday life as it makes me feel that I am not alone and that even across the oceans we are indeed in this as explorers together....love ya Kortney...Cer x

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I love your writing, no matter where you blog from! Keep at it, girl. And big hugs from the motherland! :)

Kortney said...

Changed again. :)

Thanks for the compliment, Ruh. <3