Saturday, October 2, 2010

Facebook. Blerg.

Some days, I hate Facebook with a passion because there are so many frick'n people up in everyone's business. I'm so sick of it. There are so many people out there looking for a fight and equally just as many out there trying to prove their intelligence. What do they have in common? Both pick people at random until they have a favorite and do so in the guise of "conversation" but no one's having a conversation. The perpetrator usually just wants an audience--some one to talk at. The don't want to concede anything. They don't even want to hear your thoughts. They just want to be right. And of course, to prove their unequivocal intelligence, their final argument always drives home the message with name calling.

Facebook has done some great things for me while I've been friendless and often unemployed here in Sydney. It's provided me with some one to talk to, facilitated encouraging emails and comments, blessed me with a way to pass the empty hours... But it's also lost me friends, brought me to tears and made me scream in anger.

Because we all have power to give joy and take it away.

So, I'd like to propose the following Top 10 rules for Facebook users:

  1. If you don't like someone, don't add them as a friend. Especially for people you don't know.
  2. If you don't know first hand someone's culture, don't make comments about as if you need to educate them.
  3. If someone posts something you don't like or agree with, don't attack them for it. Just ignore it.
  4. If you feel attacked by someone's comment, don't respond. Either delete their comment or delete the post. The world doesn't need any more fighting (or to see you fight).
  5. If someone sends you a message or writes on your wall, respond!
  6. Don't get upset if not all of your friends wish you a happy birthday. Sometimes, we just forget or didn't get the reminder. Doesn't mean we don't love you.
  7. If you don't feel like chatting, go offline!
  8. If someone repeatedly attacks you, just delete them. You'll feel better and you will feel empowered because whoever it is that upset you can't do it anymore.
  9. Don't send out repeated Mob Wars or Zombie Wars or Farmville invites to every one of your friends. Do it once--that's fine, you're just trying to share the fun. Do it twice? Now you're a spammer.
  10. Don't add your children as your friend. Seriously--Mom, Dad? We don't want you knowing everything we think, say and do. You had us to spy on for 18 years. Now we want some privacy.

3 comments:

Beth said...

For the record: I am constantly "offline" on facebook just because I hate facebook chat and how it interrupts everything I'm doing instead of just hanging out in the background. I'm pretty sure people get annoyed with it when they KNOW I'm online (on facebook) but not available to chat. But...facebook chat annoys me so much that I end up fighting with people on it just because the program annoys me! It's my way of making the world a better place by never using it. :)

Kortney said...

I don't blame you. I hate having it one because every time it is, I get sucked into some pointless conversation when I need to be making dinner, putting up the laundry or whatever. I really hardly ever turn it on anymore unless I really want to chat with someone. But the other reason why I always turn it off? Facebook chat just sucks. It's always dropping your connection, double posting your posts, skipping posts, and taking too long to load. I think it actually does very little to facilitate conversation! I don't blame you for not using it--it's such and inconvenience!

ReBekha said...

These are great guidelines!