Monday night, Jeremy and I will be partake in the SBS Insight audience on euthanasia and I'd like to know your opinion on it.
For those who don't know, Insight is a debate/discussion program on the SBS network where the audience debates with each other and the program's guest speakers, prompted with questions from the moderator. It's a really great program with a good deal of input from all sides. There are no "winners" as the aim of the show is to facilitate and engage dialog among people of differing views (just the sort of thing I love).
The show tackles lots of hot topic issues like the legalization of marijuana, immigration, the war in Afghanistan and school bullying. As I said, we'll be talking about euthanasia because it's coming up for vote in the Australian parliament this quarter.
I'm interested in hearing what you think: should it be legal? If yes, under what circumstances? If no, why? Please leave your opinion in the comments and if you feel uncomfortable using your name, leave an anonymous comment.
Thanks!
1 comment:
I've never been a fan of euthanasia, and here's why: I don't think people should have the liberty to take a life, especially doctors. I feel like it's a very fine line that has to be walked if euthanasia is legal (in any country). Who draws up the parameters for who can agree to the process? Is it something that only the patient on the receiving end is in charge of or would family members have a say in it? Could a doctor just make an executive decision?
As you can see, I have a lot of questions about it, but I also haven't been in any situation where euthanasia was an option, nor can I imagine the pain and suffering a loved one would have to go through to choose this option. I think overall I feel uneasy about the idea. I can't really confirm an opinion on either side right now.
Post a Comment