Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Penang and Back Again

Okay, about those last days in Malaysia...

Gaby and I had planned to go out to the beach and spend a day or two in the sun but after putting on sun block, climbing into our swim suits, mapping out the trek and beach we wanted to visit, we walked out of the hotel only to find that it was raining. And it rained all day long. One day wasted in doors. Not all was lost though. We spent a couple hours eating rice for breakfast/lunch at pretty much the only place open in all of China town (everything was closed for the holiday) and two people I've met in other places around Malaysia (Jord from Hungary and Rick from Germany) came walking by (at seperate times of course). The recognized me instantly and before long all four of us were sitting around a couple plates of rice and noodle, chatting about our adventures and wasting time while it poured outside. No matter what the weather, good friends and good food always garuntees good times. :)

The next day Gaby and I finally made it to the beach (it was her 25th birthday). We didn't make it as far down the trail as we hoped because flip flops just aren't good for climbing rocks but we did find a nice, white sand beach perfect for a little sun tanning. Well, I tanned. She burned.

There were also several cute little Malay kids hanging around. I played with them a bit and waded out into the water where I took their photos. It was fun and great to be outside.

P1268992

P1268982

P1268984

On the way back we saw lots of fishing villages on the bay and tons of Chinese people out looking for oysters in the sand. It was fun to watch.

P1269054

That evening we went back to our favorite rice hut (the only place open) and ate more rice and shared a birthday pancake topped with fruit, chocolate drizzle and a candle. The candle didn't really stick in the pancake too well. We should have taken a picture but I forgot. It was fun though and a nice way to end our time together in Penang.

In the morning, we both set off in opposite directions; Gaby left for Ko Lipe in Thailand and I went back to KL so I could fly Thursday morning to Bangkok and meet Jeremy. Upon arriving in KL, I met some cool Brits who where seriously lost so I helped them find Chinatown and got them a place to stay too in my dorm room. I also helped them find a cheap way into Singapore by taking a combination of buses and public transport (which they were really grateful for) and they in return bought me a drink. We spent the night sitting in the rooftop bar and sharing our stories. They were quite interesting. The two (a girl and guy) were best friends and had been traveling for three months together and had another three months left to go--maybe I'll see them in Australia? The girl was thinking of extending her trip.

My last day in KL was just as uneventful as the one before. I slept late and went to bed early (hoping to avoid spending more money), chatted online with Jeremy, did some research on the cheapest route to the KL airport (it only cost me $4 but took 2 1/2 hours) and busied myself with the most amazing chicken satay on planet earth. Yes, that good. I would make a trip to Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown just for the satay. J and I will be flying to the Gold Coast from KL in March and I can't wait to share this amazing heaven sent dish with him. :)

Yep, so that catches all of you up. Not that exciting but sure to get better. We head to Ko Pha Ngan tonight. Yay for the beach!!

No comments: