Tuesday, July 10, 2007

SNAFU!!

Okay folks, I need some advice. I just got work from the Peace Corps today saying that my medical clearance was deferred because of my knee problems. Though I don't really have any persisting problems beyond occasional swelling, the Peace Corps doesn't want to accept me until my knee issues are completely resolved. My options are as follows: Choice #1. See an orthopedic specialist and have a complete check up on my knee complete with MRI to verify that it works. The problems here are that I have no health insurance to cover a spendy trip to the specialist nor even close to enough money to cover the cost of an MRI. In addition, they want verified in writing that I haven't had any pain for 3 months--3 months would make me late for my September departure. Choice #2. Visit my doctor one more time and request she write a letter to the Peace Corps Screening Review Board in protest of their rejection. They will then review the information provided and make a final decision. Problems: this appeal may not be reviewed before my invite deadline. Even if it is, there is no grantee that they will approve it. If they deny my appeal, who knows what's next. That leaves me with only option two.

I'm really depressed. I don't know what to do. I talked to my placement officer and she said there aren't any teaching programs leaving in October, November, or December. If I don't make this September group, I may not be leaving until next year. If it's going to be that long, I feel like I should just stay. I feel like quitting, like giving up right now. I've already dumped THOUSANDS of dollars into medical and dental procedures in hopes of being qualified, and now it seems so wasted. I know it's not, but I certainly feel like it. I could have used that money for school bills and just got a job with health benefits instead to take care of my needs. I just don't know anymore.

So, my plan thus far is to proceed with the appeal process. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow afternoon where I plan and getting a specialist referral (just in case the appeal doesn't go my way) along with having her write a letter for me. Hopefully the appeal goes well; it's my only hope of qualifying in time for September.
Please, please, please pray for me. I feel so discouraged. I really need God's guidance and wisdom right now, as well as favor unlike anything I've seen before. I have absolutely no clue what I'll do if this doesn't work out. PRAY!!!

1 comment:

judy and john said...

Kortney, I'm feeling your pain. And, I'm thinking that the appeal process is the way to go. Is there any chance that you could contact the doc who treated your knee originally? Perhaps you could get something from him saying that you've been treated and released, etc. It was years ago, right? I'm so very sorry that this thing is so difficult. Judy