Monday, July 9, 2007

The waiting game

So, I guess it's time to update again. Peace Corps received my medical and dental clearance submissions last month and though the medical is still pending, the dental was returned to me about a week ago. As predicted, they want me to get a crown put on my root canal and resubmit my x-rays on a cd. So, another $800 down the drain...

Friday I started the crown process, which did not go so well. The dentist's assistant made the impression and was so careless! She stabbed me in the nose with her metal tooth pick (almost got me in the eye too!), accidentally wiped the inside of my mouth with rubbing alcohol with in turn burned the soft tissue on my cheek and gums surrounding the tooth, resulting in numerous canker sores, the didn't numb me very well so I felt everything, not to mention at one point she left me there in the seat for so long that I fell asleep waiting for her to return! Not a good visit... on top of it all, the temporary she made wasn't very good. It's overlapping my gums and hurts to chew with, sometimes bleeding! I can't wait to be done with all this dental stuff!

The worst part though is that I still don't know about my medical clearance and that's the important part. Peace Corps will only send you an invite if you have received medical clearance (you can get dental clearance after you get an invite). From reading posts on an online Peace Corps group that I joined, I found that the deadline for September invites (that's my program!) is August 1st! YIKES!! I'm so nervous that I won't get cleared or invited by then. I don't want to wait here any longer than necessary! Oh, I'm so anxious/nervous/scared that I'm jumping out of my skin!

Lucky for me the work keeps me busy enough that I don't have to think about the Peace Corps too often. I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier but I'm working as a camp counselor at a day camp for developmentally disabled kids. I call it the circus. I'm so tired by the end of the day I just come home, read my books, and fall asleep. Between chasing kids, listening to them talk forever and ever and ever, and fighting off the aggressive ones, I have little energy to do much else. Or at least it seems that way. I've found myself exercising every morning and taking karate lessons at night--which are going quite well by the way! I'm taking my yellow belt test on Friday the 13th!! Pray for me!!

Until you hear otherwise from me, keep praying about the Peace Corps and that I will get my invite soon. I have no idea what I'll do if I don't get an invite for September. My job ends in August! What do I do then? Go home? Keep me in your thoughts...

No comments: