Friday, January 15, 2010

Group Activities

Did I mention that I recently followed up on an invite to a photography group here in Sydney? Well, I met up with them last week and was unfortunately a little bit disappointed. It was all guys and they didn't really seem to interested in helping each other improve their work. Instead, it was more about camera talk and specifications and what not. But maybe I'm just being sensitive since I use Olympus and get a lot of trash talk for it. Why do so many people have to be haters?

I feel like there is a place for camera talk but I really want to focus on my skill and execution. Anyway, I will definitely give it a try though and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and these guys will turn out to be a big help. At the very least, though, they have cars and I don't which means I can get out of Sydney and see some real Australia for a change.

With regard to the board game group, we've set a date! The 30th will be our first game night at a board game cafe in Sydney called Norita. Jeremy and I actually went to a board game cafe on our first date in Seoul! The way board game cafes work is that they have a huge selection of games which each play pays a small sum to play (like one or two dollars) and the cafe sells drinks and snacks while you battle it out with your friends! It is so much fun and I can't wait to do it again! If any of you are looking for a good business idea, this is one you should give some thought to--everyone loves board games! Those Koreans--so creative!

And here's an old photo to make you smile.

1107000-R1-064-30A

It's been a long time since I taught in China but I still think about these wonderful kids. They were so sweet. Without them, I never would have known I was truly Asian. I still keep up with lots of them--several are on Facebook and I received an email from one a couple months ago saying that she is getting married to her boyfriend whom I met at camp too! It's hard to believe how grown up they've become. Especially my two favorite girls, Jennifer and Jacquelin! They are wearing high heels now!?! I hope that like my Vietnamese students, I'll see them again one day.

2 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Oh my goodness - flashback to 2005! Thanks for sharing that... I miss China a lot today.

You take amazing photos - it is only partially the camera, mostly the photographer! You go, girl.

Have a great weekend! Hugs...

Kortney said...

I know--wonderful China! I'm happy to share the memory. :)

And thanks for the sweet compliment Ruh! You're right, it's mostly the person behind the camera doing the work. If people can comprise gallery exhibits from polaroids, it shouldn't matter what kind of camera I use!