Today I was physically attacked in the grocery store by a drunk woman.
Jeremy had ran back to the produce section to put back a pineapple and some mangoes while I waited in line at the check out stand and as I waited, I was approached by an Aboriginal (native) woman with two bananas who asked if she could go in front of me. The lines were long all over the store and I really didn't mind helping someone out, especially since we had lots of food and there was no need to make her wait (this store doesn't have express lines).
She didn't realize there was someone else in front of me though and when the checker-chick looked at her funny for cutting, she turned to me and said, "Isn't this your food?"
I said, "No, it's his," and pointed to the man in front of her.
She stormed out without saying anything and just as she left I called after her and advised her to try another line since it looked like it was just opening. Of course, she didn't listen and hopped in a long line two checkers away from us.
I was telling Jeremy what happened when he came back and as I was telling him he glanced at the aboriginal lady. There wasn't much to say though so we soon started talking about something else and minding our own business when the woman chucked some chocolate bars across the line between us, taking aim at Jeremy and calling him four-eyes. Jeremy was quite confused so he yelled at her to knock it off and leave us alone. Everyone was staring and gasping at the woman's profane mouth. Of course, she didn't stop so Jeremy went over there to tell her off but was getting nowhere, so I told him to just ignore her and come back to our line.
At that point I asked our checker-chick to please contact security or someone in charge to come get this lady under control. She didn't do anything though and kept saying there was nothing they could do. I was baffled. There is something you can do! Escort her out! Tell her she can't come back! Get your manager! It's bad business to let that sort of stuff happen in your store.
We just continued on with out groceries though, assuming the woman was gone, and just as I swiped our debit card the crazy woman ran up behind me and threw an orange at the back of my head!
It didn't really hurt but I was a bit surprised as I turned around to see her standing behind me, yelling at us saying something about us talking about her (which we weren't) and trying to antagonize me into a fight. Everyone was shocked by her unprovoked attack but no one did anything! Not even the checker or her co-workers! They all just stared! I yelled at our checker-chick to call the police or the security or something and she just said, "I can't!" *rolling my eyes*
Jeremy was the only one who did anything. He puffed up his chest and with a little height over the woman walked up to her, yelling in his most ferocious voice, "Get the hell out! You can't hit my girlfriend like that! Get the hell out!"
She was putting her finger in his face and trying to get him to hit her but he knew better and just got really close to her--so close that she kept having to step back--and kept yelling, "Get the hell out!"
Eventually he pushed he out the door that way but the whole place was just silent. I, on the other hand, started to cry and shake (I wasn't in pain, just shocked and furious) and our checker ran out to go get me some tissue and alert the manager. Meanwhile, some other employee came up to apologize on the behalf of Harris Farms and to make sure I was okay. Unfortunately, she too said there was nothing they could do. I was a bit worried because we had more shopping to do in the mall and I really didn't want to run into that woman again but she again said there wasn't anything they could do but that I could go tell security if I wanted too. What?! Not only was I insulted in their store by their failure to resolve and secure an escalating situation but I was also told that it was my job to take care of their problem customers!
It was ridiculous. Funny thing is that this isn't the first time I've seen a woman freak out in the grocery store at someone. One time we were just outside Bi-Lo (a Coles affiliate) and saw some Australian woman throw a Chinese woman's bagged groceries on the floor as she accused her of taking her cart! She accused the Chinese woman of all sorts of things and was really starting a commotion but at least the Bi-Lo people came out and demanded the woman return the cart, apologize and never return to their store. I have no doubt that whole thing was racially motivated.
But what was this Aboriginal woman's problem? Jeremy and the Harris Farm people thought she was mentally disabled but she seemed quite lucid when she talked and I think I've worked with enough mentally disabled folks to recognize one. But who knows. I'm leaning more towards drunk but then again, she did have pretty good aim for a drunk...
Anyway, I had to shower again when I got home to get the orange juice out of my hair and I still have a bit of a headache but I'm pretty much over it now. It was just a really crappy way to start the day. In the end, Harris Farm customer service is -1. Click here to read another story about a similar situation where I was attacked by an ajuma in the middle of the night while sleeping in a jimjilbang.
What would you do in these kinds of situations?
7 comments:
Woah! What a disheartening experience. I'm curious about this "jimjilbang" (?)... going to read it now :)
That's NUTS. At first, from reading just the title I thought "oh drunk Koreans!," but really that's nuts. It is nuts because so many people stood there and did NOTHING. I would have reacted the same way you did, and I think M would have done exactly what Jeremy did.
Ah, I don't think the post explains what a jimjilbang is--it's a Korean bath house that also provides sleeping rooms. It's a pretty common place for traveling locals and the occasional foreigner to sleep when you don't want to pay for a hotel. (Hotels: $30; Jimjilbangs: $8)
Yeah, it was totally nuts! I was shocked that this would happen in Australia (as opposed to Korea which wouldn't surprise me at all). I felt a bit like a wimp for crying. lol. But I was proud of Jeremy for standing up for me! He was all hyped-up on adrenaline after that and kept saying, "Oh, that felt good!" Later he remarked how wonderful it was to know without a doubt the fullest extent of his love for me in just one moment and to know that he would do anything for me. It was super sweet. Maybe all couples need a little attack every now and again... lol. Just as a reminder, you know? ;)
Craziness! Glad you are "ok" as I imagine it could have been lots worse. Yuck! There are a few MESSED UP people out there, eh?
Way to go Jeremy. Thanks for sticking up for my sista!
I just fixed my link, and am now all caught up on the 21stcenturynomad.
Have a good day!
OX
I know--he's such a good protector. :)
What a crazy story! GEESH!!! I love your writing about it all though, it feels like we are there watching the craziness unfold..
goooo Jeremy!
Post a Comment