Monday, October 15, 2007

Fast Times at Munchang High

Friday was my boys school's 35th anniversary which was celebrated by having a big festival with the girls school. I really had no idea what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. (Sorry I forgot my camera when I went to work, so there won't be any photos.)

The day began with an opening ceremony where several teachers were presented with awards for their years of teaching and the school's owners (my school's are both private) gave speeches. That part was pretty boring, but a couple hours after the ceremony was one of two talent shows (I was a judge at the first) featuring the most amazing Taekwondo performance I've ever seen. Holy cow. I don't even know how to describe what I saw. This one student was attacked by 8 other students but he won through several complex moves like jumping off people's backs, flying horizontally through the air, grabbing people's necks with his feet, and other cool things. It was like a Bruce Lee movie. Completely amazing. They won first place, hands down. There was also a drag contest or Mrs. Munchang Beauty Pageant during the show. I'm happy to say that I was one of the make-up artists and my boys took both first and third place. They were such pretty girls. lol.

After the first talent show, there was a big bake-off (sort of) where each class had their own food stand and tried to raise money for their studies. Me--being the foreign teacher--was followed everywhere, students hanging from my arms and legs, begged to buy food from them. It was pandemonium but I did enjoy some good food. Eventually, though, I got too full to eat any more but that excuse wasn't good enough to refuse their food. My solution: I would give them money if they would give me back rubs. It worked out quite well, I think. :)

After lunch everyone went out on the field to play games like jump-rope, limbo, karaoke, and an egg toss. I also had my face painted which was really fun. Following the games was an hour break before the final talent show, so I headed back to the office and took a quick nap.

The last talent show was a little boring--it was all bands and dance groups which all looked and sounded the same. The students were even a little bored as it droned on for several hours. By the time I returned home, I had spent 12 hours at school. Ugh, I was so tired.

Wish I had some pictures to share with you. Sorry about that.

1 comment:

Linguisticnurse said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I wish I could have been there to see the tae kwon do performance. Did you know that Cara is a blackbelt? We were roommates the year after you graduated and we practiced moves together and even choreographed a fight/dance to music. Martial arts is so much fun!