Saturday I volunteered at the orphanage in town. I was told that they would be traveling to some big sports day event but really we went to Gyoungju--a four hour drive away--to sit in the sun, be fed little food, and ride a couple rides at the amusement park. I'm sorry to say that I didn't have much fun at all. I got stuck hanging out with the high schoolers who really weren't interested in me at all. I was able to have a little fun intermittently with them but for the most part they just wanted to send text messages on their cell phones.
In the afternoon we went to the World Culture Expo--which I really wanted to walk around and see but I had been told to stay with high schoolers and they were too tired, hungry, and cold to do anything. Me and the other 10 or so girls ended up sitting on a bench in the middle of an exhibit where we all slept sitting up for an hour and a half until it was time to go. Talk about a waste of time!! Argh! We were all famished by the time we got dinner at 7 PM and then had to sit in the van for a 3-4 hour drive home. I didn't return until 11 PM.
I'm sorry to say it, but I wish I had stayed home and not gone with them. I didn't get to play with the children at all and was so bored. On a good note though, I was able to make some progress with the high schoolers (as far as starting friendships) which is apparently harder to do with them. My friend Sara--a girl from Jersey--works at the orphanage and told me that those kids have been hurt so many times that their hearts are hardened and they often refuse to even associate with helpers at the orphanage. Hopefully our sufferings together gives me some advantage in building relationships. That's the only reason I'm not giving up on helping out there. I hope the next time I come will be more successful. Keep these kids in your prayers.
In the afternoon we went to the World Culture Expo--which I really wanted to walk around and see but I had been told to stay with high schoolers and they were too tired, hungry, and cold to do anything. Me and the other 10 or so girls ended up sitting on a bench in the middle of an exhibit where we all slept sitting up for an hour and a half until it was time to go. Talk about a waste of time!! Argh! We were all famished by the time we got dinner at 7 PM and then had to sit in the van for a 3-4 hour drive home. I didn't return until 11 PM.
I'm sorry to say it, but I wish I had stayed home and not gone with them. I didn't get to play with the children at all and was so bored. On a good note though, I was able to make some progress with the high schoolers (as far as starting friendships) which is apparently harder to do with them. My friend Sara--a girl from Jersey--works at the orphanage and told me that those kids have been hurt so many times that their hearts are hardened and they often refuse to even associate with helpers at the orphanage. Hopefully our sufferings together gives me some advantage in building relationships. That's the only reason I'm not giving up on helping out there. I hope the next time I come will be more successful. Keep these kids in your prayers.
Photos of the kids are as follows:
The orphanage has lots of developmentally disabled kids there because their parents simply can't take care of them. This boy (pictured above) is one of the kids with a disability and reminds me so much of Nikki Lee from summer camp. Oh, he is sweet. The cutest smile and loves to give hugs. There's a couple other kids who want to hold your hand ALL the time--a boy and girl who are cared for by the same father (he tells them to go hold your hand). lol. They're cute. After working at the Highland Center this summer, I've realized that God has created in me a special place in my heart for these kids. I hope that I can be a bigger assistance with them sometime this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment