I've decided that taxonomy is more than the study of animal classification, but can also be applied to the human social infrastructure. Like animals (which congregate with others of their own kind), humans only associate with those they have something in common with... that is unless they evolve.
I have officially evolved. I am now a member of the Lane 4 Swim Club.
Perhaps I should explain a little more about what the Lane 4 Swim Club is. At the swimming pool, everyone is divided into swimming lanes based on their skill and ability, and when you join a lane, you sort of become a club. Everyone knows each other; everyone learns from each other. We even do a team cheer after stretching together! It really is a family-like experience. "Outsiders" aren't really welcome. I think I was only allowed to start swimming in lane 4 because no one could tell me no in English. lol. Actually, lane 4 is the most exclusive group (thus the most unified) because they are the top swimmers at the pool. Most of them are on the swim team and the swim team coaches actually lead our lane in morning laps, telling us when, how, and for how long. For a long time I've really felt out of place (save Hansu who is pretty much the only one who speaks English), but lucky for me he is ranked number 1 in our lane (I'm like number 13 or something) and being his friend gives me some special privileges (like swimming there even though I'm not really part of the club).
However, that has changed. I am now part of the cool club--I can officially say that I belong to Lane 4 and not be half lying.
The swimming pool is closing for the whole month of November so that some needed repairs can be made, so the Lane 4 Swim Club went out last night to celebrate their coming month of sleeping in (yes, we swim everyday at 6 A.M.) and I was actually invited. :) Unfortunately, I had to come late because I was teaching until 9:20 last night but it didn't really matter. I showed up at the restaurant (looking pretty good, I should add) and was greeted by the cheers of all my swim buddies--they had been waiting for me. I was pretty shocked to see what they all looked like with proper clothes and no swim caps and so were they--I was showered with compliments, whistles, cheers, and quite a few "wows" from the men--but the biggest surprise was hearing them speak a little English! The hottest dinner topic: me and Hansu. We were badgered from every side with the usual questions ("Are you single?" "Do you like Hansu?" "Is Hansu your boyfriend?" "Hansu, do you like Kortney?"). However, he dropped no clues about our pseudo-relationship. He only said we were "good friends" but that wasn't said without a lot of blushing and nervous laughing. My response to the boyfriend question: "Well, he hasn't asked me yet." They all laughed and assured me that he likes me which is enough to probably keep me smiling all week. :)
After some rather intense blushing, we departed from the restaurant and hit up the "Norae Bang" or Karaoke Room where the party really began! Everyone was drinking, dancing, and singing like maniacs. Two of the older married men kept trying to dance dirty with me, getting freaky in ways I wouldn't dare to duplicate. I was so embarrassed. It's really hard not to insult your new friends when you are refusing to dance with them. It's a difficult task to maintain tact when a drunk man approaches you, snapping his pelvis like Elvis and trying to put his hand on your hip! I just laughed nervously and refused to look at those guys when they started gyrating my way, and when they got to close, I gave them a "friendly" push. I hope no one was offended when I pushed those old men away from me.
Among other dancing adventures: I had a great time converting swim moves into dance moves with the other ladies from lane 4. We were laughing so hard and I finally felt like one of the girls. It was great to show them some wacky American moves in exchange for their wacky Korean ones. Everyone loved the sprinkler. lol. It was also a big hit to push me and Hansu together and try to make us dance whenever a slow song came on. Several times the older men came up to Hansu and told him to dance with me... It was just a little uncomfortable being forced to dance. I think he was a little embarrassed when it came to dancing with me (especially at the promptings of other more "adventurous" males!). At one point, I was on the mike singing a slow song when someone pushed Hansu right into my arms! It was a bold move but kudos to the one who did it--he stood there with his arm around me for the rest of the song.
After we finished karaoke, it was time to eat our second dinner--the one you eat at 1 AM. I really wasn't hungry but one of the old and dirty men insisted on buying me dinner (Hansu told me I had no choice, I had to eat). We had some noodles at a roadside stand which really reminded me of my days in Nam. We sat on playschool chairs under tarps draped over strings and open fires that boiled water. I actually had a great time and several of them indicated that they liked me a lot. One of them invited me to her home sometime but seeing how I never got her phone number and we won't be seeing each other for a month, I don't think I'll be coming over soon. But, you never know. Before we went our separate ways they told me that the group will be meeting in another city on the weekends to practice at their pool. In addition, they have these get-togethers once a month so hopefully I'll be seeing everyone again at the end of November. The swim coach took me home in a taxi and I finally got to bed around 2:30 AM--a little late for my 5:30 AM wake up call.
Which brings me to my initial thought: taxonomy. I'm no longer the outsider who no one talks to and only swims with them because #1 likes me--I'm now their friend and their swim partner. I've evolved and I continue to evolve here in Korea. Last month I joined the "Munchang Young People's Club" (they actually call themselves that!) and this month it's the Lane 4 Swim Club. Each day is full of surprises--usually of the unfortunate kind--but I'm gradually learning through my many Korean adventures just how amazingly complex God has created us to be. I'm not just "Kortney the foreigner from America who teaches English and went to Northwest University;" I'm also "Kortney the swimmer, badminton player, world traveler, and constant go-er who loves people and wants to learn Korean." Each day I find a new niche, a new group, a new order that I belong in.
Note to the men out there: it doesn't matter if you've got rhythm or two left feet as long as you try to dance (and aren't crazy sexual!). A lot of us girls think you left footers are simply adorkable and will fall for you anyway. :) Keep on movin'!
1 comment:
Love it! How's Hansu? I think you might think he's pretty cool?
So, congrats on entering the Lane 4 club!
Sounds like so much fun!
Post a Comment