My friend Sara had just finished teaching a unit on bathroom vocabulary to her children at the orphanage when I went with them the other weekend. No, she did not teach them the word "shit," she did however teach them "sit" but Koreans can't make the "si" sound very well. Imagine my confusion when a group of twelve 9 year olds started asking me if I "shit on the toilet?" lol. I feel bad now because I was so confused. I had refused to answer their questions because I thought they were using dirty words on purpose!! Sara almost died when I recounted my experience with her... I guess she needs to work on their pronunciation...
Lil' Romeo
Not the singer--my new friend. I previously thought his name was Romeo Giovanni but apparently I had it backwards--it's Giovanni Romeo. Anyhow, I had several chances to get to know him this weekend. We went out to pizza and Baskin Robbins together on Friday and then Sunday he joined me and Courtney at the Apple Festival at Mung Yeoung Sae Jae. He's quite the interesting guy. Last year he taught at a Turkish school in New York city.... .... .... And I have nothing more to say.... .... ....
Running out of time...
Literally. I am so busy here! On Sunday, Mi Hyang introduced me to this Taekwondo master who runs a dojo out of Jeomchon (he is the instructor of the kids in the pictures I posted) and asked me if I could take lessons from him. I was pretty much overwhelmed... When would I find the time? Between belly dance lessons, badminton lesson, golf lessons, swimming practice, having to walk my butt everywhere, and teach, I just don't see myself fitting in another activity. Unfortunately, I was unable to explain this to her (remember, you can't refuse anything from a Korean) and it looks like I will be starting yet another sport soon... Ugh. Give me two more months and I'll be on a constant caffeine drip.
You scream like a girl!
Yesterday I taught a lesson on Halloween and one of the activities I had planned was bowls of food for the kids to close their eyes and put their hands in while I whispered body parts in their ears (cooked spaghetti--hair; peeled grapes--eye balls; crunchy snack sticks--fingers). It was so funny to watch the boys scream and run away or fight me with all their might as I stuck their hands in the food! lol. In addition, we also played The Never Ending Story--a game where we each write three words on the chalk board in order to tell a story. There's had to be a scary story. The ones they produced:
- A ghost woke someone up from their sleep by kissing him, so he sucked it up in a vacuum and could hear his dead girl friend screaming from inside.
- Hi Jong (a boy in my class who everyone thinks has super-powers) killed himself and went to heaven where he battled Jesus and lost. (Yeah, I was a little thrown on that one...)
- One boy was studying at midnight in the school when he heard something coming from the music room, so he went to see what it was and was chased down the hall by a piano. Suddenly, Comboy (the nickname for a really mean teacher that nobody likes) appeared out of no where and morphed with the piano to attack the student.
Let the camps begin!
This weekend, on Saturday, I will be teaching at my first of many summer camps. The best part: I get paid $40 an hour to just play games--whatever games I want--to twenty kids for four hours! Woohoo! I'm making some moolah!
No comments:
Post a Comment