So, next week I am going to send out the post cards (I just finished grading them). That means you should get yours the first week in December. Here are your instructions:
1. You must write back within one week of receiving your post card. If you don't, then my students may not get your response before school ends. (The school year ends in December here.)
2. You do not need to respond to every post card you receive (though the more the merrier)! However, you MUST write at least one post card in return. Try to choose a great post card from your city or country that you think captures the culture.
3. You are free to write pretty much anything, but let me offer some suggestions: students will want you to answer their questions but if it's something goofy like, "Can you play Starcraft with me?" then don't bother. DO say how old you are; talk about what your job is or if you are a student, what you are studying; state whether you like to travel or any other hobbies you might have; share your favorite things to do in your city (movies in the park, visiting a big tourist attraction, watching live music at a club, drinking coffee morning, noon, and night, etc.); share a favorite memory about growing up as a kid or talk about your favorite vacation. If you like Korean culture or food, mention that--my kids will seriously love you for loving anything Korean! You can even say how you know me if you want to! Write as much as you can in as much detail as you can. The more the better! I plan to have my students read your post cards out loud in class so make them long and interesting (but stay away from advanced vocabulary words)! Bottom line: be creative and have fun!
4. Many of the students are asking for your email or want you to email them. I strongly discourage this because right now there is a huge controversy in Korea regarding foreign teachers and the exploitation of students. I don't want to be held responsible for some crazy high schooler who thinks he's got some new American girlfriend--and believe me, they will. Many of them have written things like, "Come to Korea and I will kiss you," or "I'm popular because I'm handsome and a gentleman." These boys go to an all boys school--they are desperate to meet girls! It's just as much protection for you as it is for me and my boys. Don't put your email on the postcards! They WILL stalk you! They STALK me!! lol.
5. Please address your post cards to me, though you should open the letter with something like: "To my new Korean friend!" While the post card should be addressed to me, the letter shouldn't. I hope that makes sense. My address is:
Kortney Thoma
Yoondo Villa #104
963-3 Mojun-dong
Mung Yeoung, Gyeongsangbuk
South Korea
745-885
I hope that you like the post cards and I hope that you enjoy responding to them! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me! If you are really interested in being a pen pal to one of my boys, let me know. We can arrange something.
Take care!
Kortney
No comments:
Post a Comment