Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Under the Cappadocian Sun

So, we're here at our third stop in Turkey and about to leave sometime today for Georgia! But before we return to the land of impossibly slow internet, let me give you another small taste of Turkey.


When we arrived early in the morning after a hellish night slow-cooking on a night bus with a teething baby, we were pleasantly welcomed to Goreme and the amazing hot air balloons rising above the city.


They lift off every morning around 7 AM and even from the comfort of our hotel restaurant we could hear their massive blow torches filling their balloons from above.


It truly is a magical thing to see about 20 hot air balloons take off in the morning sun.


And while Cappadocia is certainly a hot air ballooning destination, it's most famous for the beautiful cave cities.


Jeremy and I had a very interesting couple of afternoons exploring different valleys FOR FREE and popping in and out of different cave churches and abandoned homes.


The amazing Turkish sun illuminated the entire valley and all the caves so that everything shined like polished gold.


It was by far one of the coolest things I've done and I got to do it with coolest person I know.



These interesting rock formations that look like towers are charmingly referred to in these parts as the Fairy Chimneys. I'm not sure why they're called that but it's cute none the less.


We did however give in to temptation and shelled out $15 to visit the Goreme Open Air Museum which is basically the same thing we saw in the valleys FOR FREE except with easier access and a few better preserved frescoes. Above is a photo of the most amazing frescoes in the last church at the Museum. If this church hadn't been included on the ticket (as some churches you had to pay extra for--museum pirates...), I would have said the $15 was wasted.

Oh yeah, while out in the valleys, we saw real ruined frescoes untouched for hundreds of years, dating back to the 1100's. I felt like I was Indiana Jone's side kick--his much more cautious side kick, might I add. Several times I had to plead with Jeremy to "not walk down that steep rock" or "please don't jump off that." I must have seemed like the ball and chain that annoying nags. lol. But good times all around.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow! What a place! That looks like TONS of fun wandering around all of those cavy places. I would love that. Thanks for the pics.

Aren't boys just stinkers... we think we're all adventurous tough chicks, and finally find a man who is equal to the task, who immediately proceeds to scare the pants off us with these crazy boy cliffhanging,rock jumping, swiftwater, stunts - and make us look like pansies. ERRRR!!!

I am so glad you two are having fun and together. What an adventure!

And, thanks for the comments - it was great to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures of the balloons, and those caves. You must be having the greatest time. I think you look so good together. I Hope to hear more from you soon. Stay safe. love Mom