It was like being on display in a zoo.
At English camp this past week, I had the "privilege" of meeting another Christian, a man named Hugh from Scotland. During one class, while the kids were busy working, we got to talking about college and I was pleased to learn that he was theology major. As conversation proceeded, he asked me if I went to church here and if so, which did I attend. I responded, "Oh, yes, I go to a Presbyterian church in town though I wouldn't necessarily designate myself as Presbyterian."
Which led to this question, "Yes, I know. It seems that there is only one type of Christian here: Presbyterian. I myself am Baptist but I can't find a Baptist church. Where do you attend at home?" "I go to an Assembly of God church." "Really? Now, what are they?" "Uh, Pentecostal. I wouldn't say that I'm AG either but they are closer than others to my personal beliefs." "Pentecostal? Really? Now what do they believe? What makes them different?"
*Uncomfortable pause.* (I knew what was coming. However, I was a little shocked that a theology major couldn't answer this question for himself...)
"Well, you know, Pentecostals believe that the out-pouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost has continued into the present and is evidenced by gifts of the Holy Spirit. Most commonly noted is speaking in tongues, which some circles of Pentecostals believe to be the initial evidence of Baptism in the Holy Spirit, though I don't personally agree with this doctrine."
"Oh! You're those people! You guys make up less than two percent of Christians in Scotland!"
It was all down-hill from there. From then on, I was like a rare specimen of Christian, ready to be poked, prodded and displayed for anyone to gawk at. I felt like a mutated lab rat, observed with that same curious fascination and disgust that draws one to things like animal dissections and owl droppings.
Now, I tried to give him the most politically correct answer I possibly could and I had wrongfully assumed that a theology major would be an open-minded individual that embraced the Christian spectrum. But alas, he was not. Instead, he couldn't let go of the fact that I am a Pentecostal. He kept returning to me all day and all week with questions about the strange and unexplainable occurrences within my sector of Christianity, questions I couldn't answer and wasn't prepared for. Questions that didn't seem to be asked out of a quest for knowledge or understanding but with that same curious disgust mentioned above.
I never thought I would be so overtly discriminated against for my beliefs by those whom I've always considered to be family members of the same faith.
I think what upset me most though was how he seemingly made fun of us/me in front of other Koreans. While riding in the car with three Korean teachers, he kept saying, "Simpson (that's a Korean teacher)! What's the word for Pentecostal? You know, Christian who makes non-sense--'Ababadabab-googlyboogly-lakdfoahoka'?" (This is where everyone laughs.) "Yeah, Kortney is Pentecostal. Kortney does 'Ababadabab-googlyboogly-lakdfoahoka.' She speaks strange language in prayer." Everyone laughs again and the Korean teachers look at me. Simpson says, "Really? Why? Why do you believe this?" I wanted to slap that idiot, Hugh. I wanted to say, "Wow, thanks for lumping my entire faith into what you call 'non-sense.'" Numerous jokes proceeded--all at my expense and the expense of the greater Christian community, because not only did I look bad, but so did Hugh.
I expect more from someone who professes to be a theology major. Perhaps a better understanding of Christianity or maybe a tolerance for those who believe in certain things outside of the box (even though speaking in tongues is still within the bounds of orthodoxy)... But I think what frustrates me most is that he completely discredited me in front of unbelievers and really damaged my chances of having any productive conversations about faith in the future. Not only that, but he presented an unfair and inaccurate representation of who or what Christians are.
Speaking in tongues is NOT a cornerstone of Christian faith and while all self proclaimed Pentecostals believe in the gift, not everyone has it (and not everyone has spoken in them--there's a difference). I have my disagreements with certain church doctrines regarding Tongues--certain doctrines which often draw the most attention and controversy--but I believe there is still biblical, historical, and modern phenomena that support the belief, and no one who can justify their faith deserves to degraded the way he proceeded to.
Anyhow, I'm over it now, but I just needed to vent here, and I want to make it clear that for all of you out there who sit outside of the Pentecostal circle and observe with a curious disgust, that we are kindred. Yes, on occasion we do embrace the unexplainable, but when has God himself ever been explainable? Please don't judge. I don't appreciate it when people laugh and joke about my faith. It's not laughable. While we may not understand each other sometimes, we must respect each other. It is the only way that non-Christians will ever learn to respect us all as a whole. Let's stop focusing on the minutiae and start focusing on cross.
2 comments:
Good writing, Kort. You helped me to understand it all better! :)
Sounds like you were the better ambassador of our Lord. :)
Sad he treated a part of the body with such a lack of consideration. I'd say he needs prayer!
love ya, Kortney.
A. Karen
Post a Comment