A Drunken Bike Rider
One day I was walking home from school when an old man came riding up behind me on a bike. He had to have been in his 70's and drunker than a skunk. He was wobbling left and right and definitely couldn't hold the handle bars straight. But he somehow seemed to maintain balance... Until he saw me. One look at the white girl and he fell face first into the pavement. Now, I probably shouldn't have laughed because he was a really old man and just took a nasty dive, but watching a drunk ride a bike and then see the equivalent of a ghost was pretty entertaining. Anyhow, I helped him up and helped pick up the broken pieces of his reflectors, took a look at his bike chain which had now fallen off, and lent my hand to the man on the ground. But he didn't take it. He just stared, wide-eyed and mouth agape. I didn't know what to say so I just smiled, said goodbye, and walked off, laughing under my breath. I turned around once to make sure he was alright and saw him still sitting there on the ground, watching me walk away. It was quite amusing.
Hypochondriac
Ever since I arrived in Korea, I've had this lump on my right wrist and it continued to grow and harden despite my hopes that it would just disappear. However, I finally decided in January that four months was too much waiting and I really began to fear that I had a tumor of some sort. (It didn't help that I had just met a guy in his 30's that had had cancer more than 4x's.) So, I went to the doctor unsure of what would happen. He took one look at it, poked it with his finger, and said, "Oh, yes, you have a cyst. Here, let me drain it for you," as he pulled out a giant syringe. I quickly began to protest; "Oh no, you don't need to do that! If it's just a cyst then I'll live with it!" His response: "Oh but it'll be uncomfortable. It'll be just a second." And he dug the needle deep within my wrist, wiggled it around, sucked out some juice, and that was it. With a small band aid, he bid me farewell and I went on my happy way. The bump remained for about an hour and then drained completely. It hasn't come back. So much for my fears of cancer...
John's Birthday
My dear friend John Ness (who is mysteriously also from Kirkland) celebrated his 21st birthday a couple weekends ago with me, Courtney, and our British friend Ceri. It was a wonderful evening of Outback, movies, a nice bottle of wine, and good company. I just love birthdays. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment