
Adding to the problems with my place, I have a re-occurring mold problem. Because it's so cold outside and my walls are made of concrete, I often find that the walls in my kitchen and bathroom are sweating (that is, collecting condensation). Now, I had no idea that concrete could sweat but it does! I promise! And it's causing me problems. For the last couple months, every Sunday when I set out to clean my place, I find loads of mold along the cracks of my floor and walls in the kitchen, topped off with wet walls and mold growing up them. And it's not your average pink moisture mold either. Noooo, this is nasty black and green mold. No matter how many times I've wiped up the place, the mold seems to come back. I recently covered the floor with bleach and washed my walls with bleach too, which seems to have done the trick--for now. I haven't had any mold problems in two weeks. But I'm not convinced that it's gone for good. It doesn't help that I can't find mold cleaners here (because everything is written in Korean) and that my landlord didn't use mold-resistant caulking when he built the place (I've got mold inside all the caulked creases in my bathroom). So, for all you home-makers and mothers out there: do you have any tips for fixing a mold problem?
3 comments:
All that dust is in the air from construction and such. In Beijing the wind would pick up sand from the Gobi desert to the north and drop it in my bedroom!
The mold part though is a little scary. Hope you find a solution...
I agree. I also add general pollution to that list of lovely things we breathe and have regular exposure to. I'll add my toilet comment here, too--I identified with everything you said and was giggling the whole time I read it! I have seen several men relieving themselves in public; they're usually very, very drunk.
I love your photos, as usual!
You might try increasing the circulating air..small fan etc. Would help keep things drier...mold hates dry :)
Using the bleach is good..you don't need to use it straight though. Combine some sm amount bleach with water in a spray bottle and occ. mist the sites. Needs 10 minutes contact time for best...but 5 min. is ok. Wipe down the treated area after the time lapse, if the area could be damaged by the chemical being on it.
The dust and dirt find there way in through any crack/crevice...
Can you get a hold of an air filter device? I wonder if your respiratory illness's may be related to the freq. exposure to the molds and the dust?
Just some thoughts :) Gleaned from years of living in an old house and having a kiddo sensitive to "stuff".
:) A. Karen
Post a Comment