Monday, July 14, 2008

A Walk to Remember

Courtney and I headed out into the country the other night for one of our famous evening walks. We tried to convince Romeo to come with us but he was too lazy. When we reached the last bridge on the river, he bailed on us and we were forced to continue on alone...




It was a really nice night for walking along the river though I'm sure we both ate probably about 20 mosquitoes each! They were everywhere in HUGE swarms!


Out in the country past Jeomchon is this cute little hamlet along the river. Courtney and I have walked past here several times but this time we were lucky enough to meet some locals!


These old ajummas thought we were so cool. I'm pretty sure we are the first and probably the last foreigners to ever visit this place. Imagine their surprise! Not just one, but two!! It was a hot night and Courtney thought she would lend them a hand with that fan... No wonder they loved us!


Together, Courtney and I both exhausted our Korean vocabulary trying to answer their questions. We told them we were from America, our ages, where we worked, and that we liked Korea. That's about all we could say. :)


Eventually this old man joined us. I kind of fancied him as the hamlet pimp because all these ladies laughed and laughed at everything he said. He must be quite the ladies man! He had their undivided attention! He spoke a little English and was able to interpret a little for us. My guess is that he probably learned it through his time in the military and service with American soldiers in the Korean war.



We also had some fun out in the rice fields. Yep, they really are that green.

1 comment:

judy and john said...

Very exciting nightlife!!! Woohoo!!! Lub you. J&J