I learned two very important things about Korean culture today:
1. EVERYONE is looking. Yep, even my happily married male music-teacher-friend is looking into online dating sites. He announced today in class that he's been chatting with some 36 yr old single woman from Myanmar online through a website called KoreaCupid (or something like that). However, once I voiced my shock regarding his actions, he was quick to say that they're just "pen pals." Whatever! I don't believe that for one minute!!
2. There's a reason for all those shoe shops in Ewha: in Korean households, the wife manages all the family money. Yep, every month when payday rolls around, men all across Korean deposit their entire pay checks into their wives accounts and then beg for their allowance. In a country where women's rights are seldom talked about or even considered an issue, women have found a way to solidify their place in the family nexus and the blossoming economy. Viva las feministas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment