Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oh yeah, Azerbaijan.

So, Azerbaijan... Well, let me start off by saying I'm glad I didn't accept my Peace Corp invite to teach there. This country is about 90% unpleasant with 10% wonderful. I believe that 10% reside primarily in Seki. I'll post about Baku and the nastiness of Azerbaijan's pollution later and for now, I'll show you the charming 10% of Azerbaijan.


After visiting the Seki palace, Jeremy and I walked out to find this guy standing outside with something covered up under a dirty rag with ears poking out. We thought it was going to be some silly small donkey and just to humor the old man, Jeremy reached out his hand to touch it. Just then the "donkey" wobbled over (obviously not alive) and the man pulled back the rag; underneath was a taxidermied wolf. We lost it laughing.

It was too good of a photo to pass up, even if I had to pay for it. So Jeremy posed but before I could take the photo, the man flipped a switch on the wolf's underside and his eyes lit up like Christmas lights. It was hilarious! And then the man started growling as Jeremy resumed position.



I think this photo says it all. Even though it's not in great focus, the man's smirk is clearly visible. He was sooo funny!


Down the street from our hotel was this adorable fruit stand that we often bought our snacks at (Jeremy swears they sell the best apples on earth). These two guys have some pretty serious faces on but they were sweet and dying to have their photo taken.


The whole city was covered in these beautiful fall colors. This is just one of the three mosque minarets rising above them. It was the perfect time to visit. Especially since I was missing Halloween at home (we stayed up and tried to tell ghost stories but ended up laughing all night).


Charming Soviet architecture. Just kidding. I think this apartment block looks like a big brick of Pepto Bismol. Jeremy posed me the question, "Is there anything you could do to make this building beautiful?" I reckon no.


Oh, okay, one photo from Baku because it's great. This is one of the beautiful little alley's we got lost wondering around it. The colors are magnificent, eh?

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

It's amazing how God saw the bigger picture for you, huh? :)

Great photos! Even though I cannot spell this country, I would still like to visit it someday!