The streets and markets in Sapa were filled with local tribes people selling necklaces, bracelets, purses, pillowcases, blankets, scarves, belts, clothes, EVERYTHING! And they were pretty persistent too!! It was difficult sometimes to walk down the street without being hassled. But once you get past the sales pitch, you will find the most helpful, beautiful people on earth. I went out one afternoon while Jeremy sat on the computer, leaving all money with him (so I could back up my claim when I said I didn't have any money to buy things) and walked around the town, chatting up the ladies and photographing their endeavors to make money. It was so much fun. This is what travel photography is all about: meeting people and capturing their true beauty.
This lady loved having her baby's photo taken.
I don't think this hat is really traditional but she was beautiful none the less. As soon as I can get access to Photoshop, I'm going to remove that guy in the background.
Cute H'mong ladies in the market.
This girl and her friends walked with Jeremy and I all the way to Cat Cat. I told her we weren't going to buy but she walked and talked anyway. It was really nice to meet a tout that really wanted to talk to you for a change. She taught me some of the local languages which really helped make friends with the tribes people later on.
At one point I almost got hit by a truck on the street (those mini-bus drivers are ferocious!) and I yelled at him for it, probably losing a bit of face because I was talking with some young tribe girls when it happened (you really aren't supposed to show yourself upset about anything) but I easily recovered it but being cheerful and saying he should be more careful (along with a couple Oi Zoi Oi's!).





1 comment:
Your photos are like reading a web page from National Geographic! Simply stunning, Kort. You'll be famous someday. And I will call you up to mooch, for sure :)
Post a Comment