After we left Hanoi, Jeremy and I took the train to Sapa, a city in the very north close to China, in order to do some hill tribe trekking. We intended to go all out and walk several days but in the end, it was blister that ruined all the fun. While running in the rain to catch the train, some gravel got in my sandal and started tearing up my wet feet. I really wanted to stop but we would have missed our train so I kept on running. In the end, I found a nice sized patch of skin rubbed off my foot with dirt rubbed in it. Not good, folks. So, as much as we wanted to walk all over the place, we only made it to two villages. But that was enough. We started in Sapa and walked to Cat Cat and then on to Sin Chai.
On our way to Sin Chai, we ran into this elderly couple walking ahead of us. Oh my God, they were sooo cute! The old guy grabbed Jeremy's hand and started leading him up the hill while the old woman tried speaking to him in Vietnamese. It was too funny!!

He would just throw his hands up in the air and cackle really loud! Hahaha. The people in Sin Chai are Black H'mong and are seriously the nicest people. Very sweet.

He would just throw his hands up in the air and cackle really loud! Hahaha. The people in Sin Chai are Black H'mong and are seriously the nicest people. Very sweet.
We saw lots of kids along the way too. This one in the middle was kinda a punk. But a cute one.
And beautiful flowers covered with dew.
One of the loveliest things though was the millions of spider webs with dew stuck on them. They were all over the place. Spiders are not cool but spider webs are and I've never seen them look so beautiful before.
Me in my element.
Sin Chai village.

The terraced rice paddies. I really wish it hadn't been so foggy. There were some beautiful , deep valleys full of terraces that would have made very nice photos.
Jeremy really wanted to keep walking past Sin Chai and go to the next village, Ta Cha. However, we took the wrong train and ended up several kilometers out in the middle of nowhere with LOTS of misty fog. We found a couple huts and asked the natives how far to the next village but they just laughed--hysterically--at us. It seems the village is a lot farther away than we anticipated. In typical boy fashion, Jeremy wanted to continue (despite the warnings that we were on the wrong trail) and find this village anyway. (It's true, men RARELY ask for directions and NEVER believe the advice when they do.) He figured we would find a road sooner or later... lol. I said no way. I didn't want to get lost in the fog so late in the afternoon and eventually I talked some begrudging sense into him. We finally came back into town around 6 pm, two sorry heaps of tiredness. It was exhausting but so much fun.







No comments:
Post a Comment