Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Want a Dog


Dalmation Pups, originally uploaded by champ2008!.

While walking down the street in HCMC, Jeremy and I walked right into a sidewalk pet shop (as in lots of cages with puppies and kitties inside them). And there was a dalmation. And I fell in love.

And since then all I can think about is getting a dalmation and naming him Domino.

Jeremy hates dogs but I've been gradually wearing him down over the past few months from loathing to tolerating man's best friend, all the while assuring him that one day, he may be dog's best friend. :)

And a couple weeks ago he agreed that if we have a house together someday, I can have a dog. Yay!!!

But he still didn't want anything to do with it. We even had a near argument on the bus from Singapore to KL about what role this hypothetical dog might have in a hypothetical house in the hypothetical future (silly, I know). So I pulled a trick on him to win his heart and bring him back from the dark side (that is, the place where dog-haters go).

We always had this deal that if he wanted to see a movie that I didn't, he would have to pay for me and vice versa. Well, these last few months we've been traveling solely on his money and a couple weeks ago he got tired of handling all of it and told me to carry the cash for a change. (See where this is going?) So, upon arrival in KL I announced we were going to the movies... To see Marley & Me... A movie about a dog... A movie he doesn't want to see... A movie I would be paying for with his money... Muwahahaha! I truly am a clever woman. :)

And--gasp!--he liked it. He liked it a lot. And at the end of the movie, he leaned over and said, "Okay, let's get a dog. I want one too."

You have no idea how HUGE this is!! One day I will have a little Domino!!!! At least, I hope I will. There are still a lot of hypothetical hurdles to crawl over.

But I have surely made the world a better place!

Go see Marley & Me--or better yet, read the book! I read it in Egypt and L-O-V-E-D it! I cried, I laughed, I stayed up well into the night reading. If you have a soul, you will love it.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Marley & Me was a great movie. Made me cry. Domino, btw, is a great/cute name for a puppy. I want to get a blood hound and name him Detective or get one of those wrinkly snout dogs and name him Wrinkles. Or get a big Rottweiler and name him Kitty. So when you say here kitty kitty, your friends think you got a kitten until they see the big dog come running. Ahh...I love naming things. Australia sounds amazing, post lots of pics cause that is one place that someday I'd like to see.

judy and john said...

Ah, yes, "Marley and Me" is a great tear jerker movie. I read the book first. I love dogs and may someday have one but for the problems that arise. Been there.

Linguisticnurse said...

Awesome story.
Tim was a bit the same way about cats until my cat came to live with us. He's not as enamored with them as I am but he sure enjoys having them around.
Someday we hope to get a blue merle Aussie shepherd. So excited! The plan was to have one by now but we found out I was pregnant not long before Christmas so we decided not to have a puppy and a baby at the same time. :s

Author: Carissa Burk said...

When we got Jack, Joe insisted that I could et whatever kind of dog I wanted since it was my dog. Not his dog. I was to walk it, feed it, take care of it solo since it's MY dog. Not his. He might choose to pet it occasionally out of the overwhelming kindness of his heart but that's it.

Three months into having Jack, Joe came up to me one afternoon and said he had something he had to confess: Jack was his dog, too.

Jack totally has Joe wrapped around his little paw. Muah ha ha. In fact, it was Joe's idea to get another dog, which is how we ended up with Lola.

Joe is totally a sucker for cute puppies. Who would have thought?