Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back to school

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers. I have been so blessed today! Crazy things happen at every turn--just now, as I finished typing that last sentence, two men showed up at my door to frost the window in my kitchen. It's 8:30 PM. lol! I was told they would be here tomorrow! I was hoping to go to bed within the next half hour but now my room has become a construction site. Crazy...

Let me start by telling you about Korean time. Korean time is life in the absence of time (ie. Koreans are abnormally disorganized). This whole ordeal about the window is a great example. I was told they would be here tomorrow, they showed up two hours later. If I had been told they would be here in two hours, they probably wouldn't have shown up for two days. That's the way they work: absolutely no predictability. This will take some getting used to.

I don't know really what to write about except that things have gone well today. The Korean teachers at my school are incredibly nice. I didn't get to meet my co-teacher today because she is on vacation (I'll meet her Saturday), but I did meet my vice principal--a very powerful woman. I must suck up to her. She has been really good to me so far. The school is only responsible for providing a studio apartment furnished with a bed, table, chair, TV, AC, microwave, and washer, but they have gone above and beyond those provisions. On my request, they also provided me with cooking utensils, pots and pans, bedding, plates, cups, bowls, chopsticks, shampoo and conditioner, food, bottled water, toilet paper, towels, dish soap, and so much more. I know this stuff should be expected but I know they were special purchases for me that came out of the school's budget--money they didn't plan on spending. I feel so blessed! The apartment is amazing too! It's brand new--no one has ever lived in it. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

My school is beautiful too, and the administration has provided me with a desk and computer to work at while I'm at school (a very generous offer). It's funny walking around the school. Everyone stares. I've been told there's only about 30 foreigners in the city, so I'm sure I stand out quite a bit. In fact, the other teachers have been following me around, waving, shouting "Hi!," and continuously shaking my hand. I'm kind of a celebrity... :) I've forgotten what that was like. One thing to look forward to: a Canadian man is supposed to move in to the studio across the hall from me sometime soon. Hopefully I'll be making friends soon! Oh, and there is apparently another foreign teacher in the elementary school next door to mine whose name is Courtney too! Maybe I'll have more company that previously thought. :)

I might get to meet some students tomorrow (that whole Korean time thing makes it difficult to predict whether I actually will or not). And, about my first day of teaching... I guess I have 10 days of orientation before I get to teach?... That's what the VP told me today but she couldn't tell me what I'll be doing in orientation. I guess I'll have to wait until I meet my co-teacher to find out. Tentative first day of class: Sept. 9th.

Well, that's about it. Thanks for praying guys! I really appreciate it. More plus pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

judy and john said...

Hello, Sounds very good!!! I'm so glad to hear these happy words. Judy

Stacy said...

Sounds like so much fun! Can't wait to see you apt. What are the silly daily living quirks you've discovered so far, other than the time thing? In my travels, the only country that was as concerned about time as we are was Switzerland. Everyone else seems to be SO much more relaxed. Have fun with that!
It sounds like they are taking good care of you! I am so glad for ya!