Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ms. Kortney

I'm a teacher. I'm a teacher.

It's still a little weird to me. This is really my job. Hmmm... So this week is my first week of actual teaching. Last week I visited classrooms but all I really did was introduce myself, tell stories, and show my pictures--nothing special. This week, however, I'm teaching the students about "small talk" and I'm trying to get them to have conversations with each other. So far it's going pretty good.

I'm a teacher. I'm a good teacher. :)

The boys are really funny and I've become quite fond of the school. They are so rowdy and hilarious. I love watching them try to out-do each other. High school boys are all around goofy. On Monday I was given an additional special class: the top 20 English students from the 1st and 2nd grades. I really didn't know I would be teaching this class until I arrived for work (Ah!! Disorganization!!) but after about 10 minutes of quick thinking, I decided to make them my own personal debate team. :) Doing what I do best... We spent the whole morning talking about hot topics like school uniforms (which they have), abortion, divorce, violence on tv, and women in the military. They actually had some good thoughts and I was able to challenge them in many ways. Their homework assignment: a pro/con with 5 arguments for both sides on school uniforms. In two weeks when we meet again (next week is vacation) we're going to have a mini-debate on co-ed schools. They were pretty excited when I told them. I also hinted at having a competition with the girls school at the end of the year where the winners will receive a BIG prize. I'm so excited!! This should be fun.

The girls school is good too. Girls are girls. They giggle, laugh, cover their smiles with their hands, and ALWAYS talk about boys! Some days, like today, I get tired of them laughing when I ask them to read something and it's hard for me to be patient, but I'm learning too. The teachers are pretty nice but they lack the camaraderie that the other school has. At the boys school, once classes end all the teachers play badminton together. At the girls school, everyone just goes home. It's a little sad, but I must say that my closest friends are at the girls school. It's a trade off.

Otherwise, I'm good but my brain is going numb. I have to teach the same lesson in 21 classes. Talk about boredom! I practically have the lesson memorized word for word!

No comments: