As you know, Korea is on the other side of the International Date Line, so I am always one day ahead of everyone at home. If it's Friday in Seattle, it's Saturday in Korea. Thus, I went back to the future. lol
But that's not the way I've defied time in the last month. I've also aged 2 years.
The Korean people (like most Asians) say a person is one year old upon birth, but they have another custom special to their culture. On every new year's day, you turn another year older. So, if you were born in December, you would be born 1 yr. old, and just one month later, you would turn two. Even though I am 22 in the states, I must add two yeas when I tell Koreans my age.
The perks of this system: if you want to shave a couple years off your age, you can tell a Korean your real American age and they'll think you're younger than you are.
Oh, and they've done away with the whole birthday system. After you turn two, you count yourself another year older every year on January 1st. Though most Koreans understand the western concept of birthdays (and I gather that some celebrate), no Korean would tell you they turn 26 on March 14th.
It's a crazy world out here.
3 comments:
No thank you, 31 is old enough :)
No thank you, 31 is old enough :)
How did I just do that twice?
Sorry~
Post a Comment