Last weekend I hit the trail with a couple teachers for a 19 km hike up to Mung Yeoung Sae Jae's 3rd gate. For those of you who don't know, Mun Yeoung Sae Jae is a state park preserving the provincial gates high in the mountains where Confucian scholars of more than a hundred years ago used to travel along ancient roads to Seoul for a yearly conference of the world's (peninsula's) greatest minds. It's also a historical battle site where in 1592 Koreans battled the Japanese and both sides lost in a stale mate at the first gate.

The third gate.
Paintings within the third gate entrance.


The two teachers who hiked up with me.
An interesting wood formation caused by a broken branch. I just happened to look up an see it as I was walking along. I think it looks like a giant rat. Lots of people say it looks like a bird. What do you think?
We stopped to eat lunch on the way up and there was this old Korean hippie man playing saxophone at the restaurant. He kept hitting on me and asking me out on a date. I was so grossed out. Not even flattered. Then he started playing a song for me in front of everyone, even announcing the dedication to the audience through the microphone. Can you say awkward?
An interesting water fixture on the way up the mountain.




1 comment:
Your photos of Korea are so beautiful. They make me want to go and visit!
Post a Comment