Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thailand Days 11-12: Koh Lao Lieng

Welcome to paradise! (Note to reader: unlike other Thailand posts, this one is not in chronilogical order. Sorry.)

After a lazy morning on the beach and a nice lunch of cashew chicken (chased with one of those scrumptous pina coladas!), we jumped in a long tail boat and departed from Koh Sukorn, bound for the rocky pinnacle called Koh Lao Lieng--a private island visable from the Koh Sukorn resort and home to one of the Adaman Sea's many tiny fishing villages. We hardly saw the fishermen though and barely even noted their presence on the tiny island (that is until day two) which made everything rather peaceful for us. For two days we did little more than sleep on the sand, sleep in the hammocks, snorkel off the beach, and play with the village puppies.


Michelle, Dane and Will out playing volleyball in the water.

Our perfectly secluded beach.


Michelle and I taking in a little shade between sun bathing stints.

And yes, this is exactly how blue and beautiful it was. I have done absolutely no editting to this photo (in case you were wondering). That little dot left of center is Michelle snorkelling. She was a little skeptical of venturing out when we all started complaining about the sea lice, but eventually she swam out and we could hadly get her back in!

Wanna play ball? Big Willy (right) and Great Dane (left) getting ready to hop in.


Michelle coming in from snorkelling and exclaiming about all the amazing fish she saw!

What did I say? Sleeping and reading in hammocks.

Those hammocks were probably one of the island highlights (as strange as that sounds). They provided the best place for everyone to sit and chat in the evening. One night Zoey, Abi, James, Rosie, Jenny, and I all shared the hammocks and spent hours telling ghost stories, love stories and reading all the smutty articles out of a well-loved Cosmopolitan magazine (one that must have circled all the ladies in our group at least twice in two weeks). The boys found it quite interesting and would occassionally comment from the insides of their tents, shouting things like: "Do girls really think like that?"


In the evening on day two a big storm started coming in and brought with it some perfect waves for body surfing. I had the best time flinging my body up onto shore--even though I was alone and got all cut up by broken coral pieces on the sand!


Later that night (day two), at the bidding of all us girls, the boys went out into the jungle and fetched us some wood for a bon fire on the beach and we all sat around, getting toasty, listening to the ocean, and watching lightning far off and over the ocean.

An absolute must see: A short video of us all chasing crabs across the beach in the dark. I wish I could post it here but blogger and YouTube don't get along very well and sometimes I can't make it embed. So if you can't see it below, please click here. :)


Also interesting to note, appearently our island had been hit by the tsunami a couple years back and since then most beaches have put up evacuation signs. I was really surprised to find one on our island since it was so secluded, but it's reassuring to see that the Thai government is taking measures to prevent more death in the unlikely event that another tsunami should hit.As hinted at earlier, we hardly noticed the fishing village until the morning of day two. I had been out snorkeling in the deep water with a few others all day and we returned to find a few guys like this one above hanging out on our island. Appearently, while we were gone the Thai Marine Police showed up on our island and decided to finger print and search homes, looking for drug traffickers. But just as surprised as we were to see them, they were surprised to see us. When they showed up, several of us were out with our team leader/interpreter and weren't expecting to find 8 farangs (foreigners) with no interpreter (the rest of us were out on the boat with our team leader). So, in their broken English, they asked to search some belongings and started looking for passports. Rumor has it that a couple of the girls in our group had some pot with them on the island and started freaking out when the police arrived, so they barried it. But who knows. If they did, it's a good thing they weren't caught. Thailand isn't too kind to foreigners in possession of drugs. When we returned, we found the 8 people left behind quietly huddled together, chatting in frantic whispers about the police roaming around with AK47s in their hands. I didn't think they looked to bad but the rest of our group were all freaked and secretly trying to take photos from under towels and such. Meanwhile, the police sat around with the local Thais, laughing and sharing beers.

Insert Mi-Guk (that's Korean for American foreigner).

Living in a foreign country (or traveling extensively) kind of dissolves that part of your conscience that says, "Oh no! You can't do that!" And so I thought I would show all of the other farangs how to get a picture of something truly interesting: go ask. And I did. I picked up my camera and said, "Hey, if you want photos, don't try to sneek them. Just go ask." They all laughed and called me crazy, saying, "You do it then!" So I did. The police were really nice too and just as much as I wanted their picture, they wanted mine as well, and we had a great time talking--sort of; you know, hand signals and random English words. They loved that I am and English teacher in Korea and had lots of questions to ask me. It was great fun. And when they left, I followed them down to the beach where I got a couple good shots of them and them of me. :) Living overseas certainly teaches you to live life to its fullest!



The police boat off shore; they had to take a long tail boat past the coral reef to reach out island.


Don't worry James. The fish don't bite. :)


Just a little snorkeling fun. We were being complete weirdos.

There was this stupid, stupid rooster in our camp site that thought it was a dog. Several times I saw him trying to nurse with the puppies (ouch!) and he would even sleep with the pups too (that's what he's doing here, underneath a hammock).


Another late night of drinking.


And you know me... Always an early riser. Actually, because there were no lights in our camp site and things got dark around 6:30 pm, we were all falling asleep at 8 or 9 at the latest, which meant I was waking up super early. (It didn't help that the rooster started crowing around 4 am either.) So, one morning I decided to leave my tent and sit out on the beach, listen to my iPod and catch the sunrise. I'm so glad I did. It was absolutely stunning.


The sunrise and moon over Koh Lao Lieng.




Fishermen leaving the villiage and heading out to pull in their first catch.

This is the money shot. Amazing huh?



On the morning of day three we would wake up to find ourselves in a massive storm, faced with insurmountable waves and a rather large channel to cross. Stay tuned for the adventure in my last Thailand blog post!

2 comments:

Milk Mama said...

Oh my gosh, Kortney! I'm a little jealous right now! It's GORGEOUS! What a beautiful paradise!!! Wow!!! It's so pristine, so perfect, it's beautiful!!! Breathtaking! Wow! :D

judy and john said...

Sounds like you just had too much great fun!!!