I was listening to a song this morning by Jack Johnson called Rodeo Clowns and one of the lines caught my attention; is says: "He tried to live but he's done trying, not dead but definitely dying."
Oh, Jack--you lyrical sage.
What he says is true. If you're not actively trying to make your life exciting--worth living--then everyday you exist is nothing more than another number on the count down. If you're not actively living then you're actively dying.
I was talking with my co-teacher today about her English skill level (which is really good, btw) and I told her that she would certainly able to live in a western country with a significant amount of ease. Her response: "Oh, I wish, but my current situation won't allow it." I hear this all the time. I don't have the money. I don't have the time. I don't have the education. I don't have the language skills. I'm stuck in my job. I have car payments.
Here's what I say: if you want something, you have to make it happen yourself. We all make our own destiny. And don't just sit there and pray for it to happen either--I'm a firm believer that God helps those who help themselves.
The first thing to getting anything done is simply making a plan. Request the days off. Make a budget. Take the first step and buy a ticket. (Chances are that if you have that ticket in your hand then you won't waste it--you'll find away to make that trip work.) Sell your car (gas is too expensive anyway). Go back to school and study whatever makes you happy. If what you want is big and dependent on numerous variables, then make goals--short term (5 months) and long term (2 years), and make small short term plans to meet those goals.
But no matter what, do what you know you want and not what you think you need. What life is worth living if you're not daily doing the things you love to do? It's just too short, my friends. (Just to clarify things, I'm not encouraging irresponsible behavior because it satisfies the wants. Obviously some needs must be met before we start working on those wants but one should never abandon the wants because of their needs. To separate the two is to buy into a false dichotomy.)
Live. Love. Laugh. Carpe diem.
1 comment:
This is awesome. As a Christian, life is totally an adventure. Following Jesus to strange places and doing crazy things = living by faith! :)
Post a Comment