I've talked with Mr. Bak and his wife several times now and everyone seems to be doing okay. They all left the hospital today and Mr. Bak is back at school. It's funny to see people's reaction now that everything is over. His wife works at the girls school where no one seems to know what happened, yet at the boys school where he works, I'm already getting loads of emails from people talking about how heroic it all was.
I guess that's true--it was pretty heroic--but I'm not really sure how to react when people start praising me for what I did. I mean, what other option did I have? It's not like I could have sat there and let them drown... So I find myself a little confused when people do say something. One of my co-teachers from the boys school told me she started crying when she heard the story. What do you say about that? I know that what I did was good and all, but I also feel like I couldn't have handled things a little better too... I really did freak out a couple times...
I guess that part of the confusion comes from receiving praise I've actually earned as opposed to the normal empty praise that constitutes most Korean conversations. Humility is an awkward thing...
Oh, and btw, good news: no broken bones. Everyone is whole and happy.
And for those of you who've been wondering about my emotional state, I'm doing fine. :) I've had LOTS of down time and several days to sleep off all the stress. In fact, I'm so surprised by how much I've slept! But I feel fine. I'm glad I typed out the story on Sunday because it helped me process things a little more and confirm that it all really happened. I've also had ample opportunity to talk with some of my family which has made the recovery a little better too. Other than that, things just seem a little surreal and distant right now. I feel fine, though. But I'll keep you updated if things change!
Thanks for all your prayers, support, emails, and comments! It's so nice to know you're cared about in situations like this. Much love from Korea!
2 comments:
what an adventure...glad to hear that you are doing well!
My sister the heroine... yes humility is such a weird thing. You did the best you could in the situation you were in. There is peace in that, and that everyone is okay.
Love you and have a good day!
Post a Comment