Friday, January 16, 2009

The Chans

So, my last few days in Singapore were sweet. Through a friend of a friend, I was hooked up with a place to stay for a few days which was such a nice retreat from the hostel. I was so sick of sleeping in dorm beds. It was also nice to just have someone else around to talk with, eat breakfast with, a little girl to play with, and most of all, not have to worry about your stuff if you need to leave or not having to pack all your valuables into the toilet with you when you need to go. I also had the pleasure of going to church with them--something I haven't had a chance to do in a long time. Traveling is hard work, my friends.


This is Vanessa, their little girl. We had an impromptu photo shoot one morning. So cute.

I spent almost a total of two weeks in Singapore and while I have quite a few photos to show for it, I'm sorry that I haven't posted nearly enough. I guess that Singapore just isn't that interesting. Sometimes I had to make myself go do something rather than sit in bed all day and read. But that's a dangerous game too because once you step out the door and into Asia's most westernized country, your pocket book starts cha-chinging!


A parrot from Jurong Bird Park. I think you would have loved it, Judy and John.


The CBD at Raffle's Place with one big blocky sculpture. ;

In that last week I just roamed around a bit. I hung out at the Jurong Bird Park (part of the zoo), I walked around China Town, walked about the CBD (central business district), visited a synagogue, an Armenian church, a couple museums, and watched a few movies (The Women is an excellent movie with thought provoking feminist themes; Seven Pounds is a moving drama that will challenge you to be a better person--take tissue). And even on my tight budget, I found myself shopping a bit too. But who couldn't in Singapore? The whole economy is driven by literally, a hundred+ malls. No joke. But I promise, it was all for necessary things. I found my favorite Korean makeup shop to replace the eyeliner and mascara that's been drying up. I picked up that City Scene Starbucks cup that I need from every place I go. I got a big book to read called Shantaram (Aunt Judy, this is a must read!). And the best part was bras and underwear from what I now believe to be THE BEST lingerie store on earth: La Senza. Kiss Victoria's goodbye! Man, I need bras so bad. I'm sure you all wanted to know that. But really. Korea doesn't import anything bigger than a B cup and I've lost so much weight that the old tattered things I brought from home don't fit anymore. So, I consider it all well spent cash.


Everyone is getting ready for Chinese New Year: January 26-29th.

Tuesday I packed up, said my goodbyes to the Chan's and headed out for Melaka, Malaysia. More to come on this later. And for those who are interested, Jeremy is doing fine in Iran. He's having fun and meeting really nice Iranian people. But he's a bit sick at the moment. Keep him in your thoughts. Only 14 more days until we see each other in Bangkok! I can't wait!

If you want a sneak peak at the Malaysian stories to come, check out my photo blog (365 Degrees) on the right side of the screen or click on My Flickr Albums to see more of the photos.

2 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Great photos! Yes, Chinese New Year. Ohhh I have some stories of that time....in 2004. Lordy, watch out for crazy amounts of fireworks!

judy and john said...

I love it that you're still out ther having fun. Sounds like Singapore has lots to offer. "Naked in Baghdad" is good. I just sent it off to Stacy.