Last night my Peace Corps status was finally updated and I now have both dental and medical clearance--all I need now is the invitation, which can come at any time. (An invitation is a proposed assignment for another country which you can accept or reject.)
Will I actually accept though? Eastern Europe is not my thing... Sorry if that offends anyone. I want to be in Asia and would settle for Africa but in the back of my mind I kind of know that passing on an assignment could mean that I don't get one at all which would be the worst thing. I definitely want to do Peace Corps but what are reasonable concessions to make?
If location, location, location truly is all that matters, then I probably shouldn't go unless it's a place I want (I would hate myself if I terminated early) but there are lots of nagging things at the back of my mind. Doing Peace Corps--no matter where they send me--will undoubtedly provide me with lots of influential contacts, give me a great resume, practical work experience with non-profits, non-competitive eligibility for government jobs (which means I get hired first), and will help me get into a good grad school or start a career in politics if I want. The benefits of doing Peace Corps are unfathomable but the consequences of going to a place I don't want to go to are realistic, measurable and possibly counter-productive in obtaining all those benefits mentioned above.
This will take me a while to think about... Share your thoughts if you have any.
1 comment:
From an analyst to another analyst: a word of caution.
While weighing the pros and cons of a decision is valuable, don't get bogged down in it and forget to meditate on God's will for you in this decision. What is it he wants you to do? What direction is he taking and does he want to take your life?
Good luck and I'm praying for you!
Post a Comment